Buying advice. Trek 1.2 or Btwin Triban 520

Shane354
Shane354 Posts: 8
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I am investing in my first road bike. I have done a bit of research and both seem to be pretty good price.
Both bikes are around €550. There is a sale in the local bike shop on the trek. I was just looking for a bit of advice or if there is anything better on the market atm. I apologise if this has already been posted before.

Comments

• Shane,

can only comment on the Triban: had a 500 early doors but now upgraded to a 540 (when they were cheaper last year)
    One of the things said about Decathlon is that the components are so good, they cost more than the bike. Maybe not so in this case but, looking at the spec, you're getting carbon forks and a sub 10 kilo bike.
    Gears shifts are very important and, whilst you're getting the bottom of the range Sora, its still Shimano.
    Perhaps you need to ask yourself what are you buying the bike for: small commutes = just go for the cheapest bike. Longer 60-100K sportives = look carefully at gearing, weight and wheels
    And read balanced reviews via Google like roadcc and this site
    Good luck
  • My first road bike was a B'Twin 500se and weeks of research and it's a great bike. Decathlon. Have the best customer service I've ever witnessed. Took my bike for a free safety check at my LBS and was told I needed a new chain. Contacted decathlon and explained this and without any quibbles not only did they send me a new chain they also sent a new rear cassette!!!!

My next bike will be the 720AF due to their exceptional customer service aswell as their staff in store.
  • Jerry185 wrote:
    Shane,

can only comment on the Triban: had a 500 early doors but now upgraded to a 540 (when they were cheaper last year)
    One of the things said about Decathlon is that the components are so good, they cost more than the bike. Maybe not so in this case but, looking at the spec, you're getting carbon forks and a sub 10 kilo bike.
    Gears shifts are very important and, whilst you're getting the bottom of the range Sora, its still Shimano.
    Perhaps you need to ask yourself what are you buying the bike for: small commutes = just go for the cheapest bike. Longer 60-100K sportives = look carefully at gearing, weight and wheels
    And read balanced reviews via Google like roadcc and this site
    Good luck
    Thanks Jerry for the reply. I currently have a halfords hybrid bike. Around 15kg and I could do 30kmon it. However With the gearing it's hard to get a decent pace on the flat. I would easily go further with better gearing. I guess I am answering my own question but I would be doing a marathon instead of a sprint.
  • My first road bike was a B'Twin 500se and weeks of research and it's a great bike. Decathlon. Have the best customer service I've ever witnessed. Took my bike for a free safety check at my LBS and was told I needed a new chain. Contacted decathlon and explained this and without any quibbles not only did they send me a new chain they also sent a new rear cassette!!!!

My next bike will be the 720AF due to their exceptional customer service aswell as their staff in store.
    Hi thanks for the reply. I did look at that bike however it was the better gearing and carbon fork of the 520 the persuaded me?. How far would you go on the bike if you were going for a long journey .
  • I've had a Trek 1.1 for 6 years now, and that frame (and alloy fork!!) has been through everything- and I still don't have a 'nice' bike for racing on and it still holds its own against far, far pricier offerings.

As for comfort- I put large 25C tyres on (it has clearance for 28+ if you don't want guards as well) and ridden the Tour of Flanders sportive and survived the cobbles fairly well despite the full alloy frame and fork.

The B'twin almost certainly clinches it in terms of groupset value, but with the Trek you will be investing in a quality frame that will be worth upgrading for years and years as you wear bits out.

Have fun whatever you go for!
  • I've had a Trek 1.1 for 6 years now, and that frame (and alloy fork!!) has been through everything- and I still don't have a 'nice' bike for racing on and it still holds its own against far, far pricier offerings.

As for comfort- I put large 25C tyres on (it has clearance for 28+ if you don't want guards as well) and ridden the Tour of Flanders sportive and survived the cobbles fairly well despite the full alloy frame and fork.

The B'twin almost certainly clinches it in terms of groupset value, but with the Trek you will be investing in a quality frame that will be worth upgrading for years and years as you wear bits out.

Have fun whatever you go for!
    Thanks yeah it's my first bike so I don't want to wet my feet to much yet. I was considering something like the 500se
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shane what's up with your gearing on the current bike? That would be a cheaper solution.
  • cougie wrote:
    Shane what's up with your gearing on the current bike? That would be a cheaper solution.
    Well the gearing is standard shimano branding not sure of the model. The bikes frame size is also way too small. Its 17iches or 43. I have grown a lot since i got it(yes im 17). I am currently 5-9 and i went and tried a few bikes so i need a 54cm frame. IE even if i could change the chainset/gears the bike is still way to small
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Shane354 wrote:
    My first road bike was a B'Twin 500se and weeks of research and it's a great bike. Decathlon. Have the best customer service I've ever witnessed. Took my bike for a free safety check at my LBS and was told I needed a new chain. Contacted decathlon and explained this and without any quibbles not only did they send me a new chain they also sent a new rear cassette!!!!

Hi thanks for the reply. I did look at that bike however it was the better gearing and carbon fork of the 520 the persuaded me?. How far would you go on the bike if you were going for a long journey .

The 500SE as mentioned by CS does have a carbon fork, the stock 500 does not.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Shane354 wrote:
    My first road bike was a B'Twin 500se and weeks of research and it's a great bike. Decathlon. Have the best customer service I've ever witnessed. Took my bike for a free safety check at my LBS and was told I needed a new chain. Contacted decathlon and explained this and without any quibbles not only did they send me a new chain they also sent a new rear cassette!!!!

The 500SE as mentioned by CS does have a carbon fork, the stock 500 does not.
    Oh thanks for the reply i skipped over that in the review.
  • Thank you all for your very helpful replies, i have decided to go with the trek. It didn't come down to much in the end however the frame on the trek was a bit more comfortable and the options of easy upgrading in the future give it the edge. My local bike shop gave me a good deal on the bike and that's what really sealed the deal. I am looking forward to going on my first ride on a proper bike.
    Thanks Again.