Road Rear lights

brearley
brearley Posts: 165
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking at getting out on a few night rides, hopefully in groups as I don't like riding too much alone.

My current thought is to go for the Use TraceR rear light. I already have a Cree 1600 lumen rechargeable front light which I used sparingly. Would I be better buying the front and rear set for the additional £30?

Any advice on which rear light specifically but also general advice on what is best out there with a reasonable price range (up to £50 per light)

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Moon Comet is a good rear light. I always run that and at least one other on the rear.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I don't think that others in the group would appreciate the TraceR
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    See sense Icon can be had for around 50 notes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    It's hard to recommend one light as I have a few that I used for different things in different conditions. It also depends on whether you're riding alone or in a group. I was out last night and someone had a rear light that was so bright I could not follow him - I was being dazzled. Don't just look at the lumen output either. I ride in a group all through winter and lumen output seems to have a small impact on how useful a light realy is. I like Lezyne lights as they have a "race" mode which means you can toggle between highest output & economy outout without having to cycle through all the options - great when riding in a group as you don't always need full beam.

Lezyne SuperDrive XL front. The 575 lumen rating can be misleading - this gives a more useful beam than other lights rated at double the lumen output and lasts a decent amount of time. Permanently fitted to the winter bike.
    Lezyne Micro Drive 400XL front. Similar to above, better beam than the rating would suggest and decent life. Used in spring and autumn on the summer bike or as a winter backup / duplicate.
    Comet moon front - Summer use.

Lezyne Strip Drive rear - One of the flashing modes alternates between 2 LED and 3LED - so you always have a light showing but it also gets attention. Nice and bright, easy to fit, waterproof, good battery. Used mostly on winter bike. Not so bright that it causes offence in group riding.
    Comet moon rear - Summer use but also used as a backup / duplicate for winter use.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Moon Nebula gets my vote. Can be had for around £30 on a good day.
  • I've got a bunch of different Lezyne lights and they've all been great. My advice is to run TWO rear lights as there will be that time when one of the batteries goes flat and you don't want to end up riding around without a rear light! If you're riding in a group make sure you get one with a couple of modes so you don't blind your mates.

Lezyne Strip Drive is good, as is the Micro Drive rear light.

When I was commuting I ran a Lezyne Micro Drive on my seatpost plus a Cateye Rapid X2 as backup.

(With a Lezyne Super Drive XXL 1200 lumen front, in case you were interested)
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Moon Comet is a good rear light. I always run that and at least one other on the rear.

I'd personally save yourself a few quid and buy the Jobsworth copy of the Moon Comet from Planet X. I've had the moon comet, it lasted ok but then failed, the Jobsworth one is yet to let me down. If it does I have a spare one in the cupboard having bought 2 for less than £10 when they had an offer on.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    +1 for the Moon Comet, +1 for getting two of them. If you mount them one above the other and have one flashing and one steady, the effect is a very eyecatching pulsing light. It also increases the run times if you stop half way and set the steady one to flash and the flashing one to steady.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Another good tip is that if you cannot be bothered to run two lights or find it difficult to fit them, then dig out that little red reflector from the back of the cupboard (you know the reflector you took off along with the white one at the front, the dork disk and the bell) and then stick that back on the bike! They can be very effective if kept clean and lit by a following car if your main red light fails...and you never need to worry about having enough battery. I keep mine on throughout the year, and the additional 20g probably explains my climbing ability ;-)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Good point about the reflector. That's why proper full mudguards are good in the dark days - they usually have a proper reflector on.

You can also add reflective tape all the way down the mudguard and finish off with a reflective flap. Ooer.

(only useful if you're riding in the dark mind you)
  • Anybody with one of these know if it will be a good fit on a fairly chunky seatstay? (Ribble winter bike) I can't mount it on the seatpost as there is not enough room below my seatpack.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-li ... ght--black
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Semantik wrote:
    Anybody with one of these know if it will be a good fit on a fairly chunky seatstay? (Ribble winter bike) I can't mount it on the seatpost as there is not enough room below my seatpack.

It would be at the wrong angle surely, if you put it on a seatstay?
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    edited September 2016
    apreading wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    Anybody with one of these know if it will be a good fit on a fairly chunky seatstay? (Ribble winter bike) I can't mount it on the seatpost as there is not enough room below my seatpack.

Dunno. Not got one. They don't angle down then presumably.My current Cateye does so works fine on seatstay but is not USB type
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Semantik wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

Dunno. Not got one. They don't angle down then presumably.

No they don't, the angle is fixed and designed to go on the seat stay.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

You mean seatpost?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Lezyne strip is very bright for around £30 - bright enough for daylight. However it doesn't work for aero seatposts (well not mine anyway) even though it is designed to fit aero seatpost - it flops to one side....

So recently I've gone for the now defunct cateye volt 50 rear. It attaches to the saddle rails not the seatpost which is big plus for me (maybe not for others) - Bright enough even if the light is a bit one dimensional !

I have a magicshine mj818 will will be hitting the classifieds shortly - not used it much. PM if youre interested...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Semantik wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

You mean seatpost?

Sorry yes, seat post. FWIW I have a few rear lights and find the Topeak Redlite Mega is a good overall light which will attach to the seat *stay* - comes with two sizes circular brackety things on which the light can be angled up/down.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I've been happy with the Trek Flare R. Bit pricey but has been fine and the battery lasts well even in retina burning mode.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Knot Blinder, nice and bright, long burn, usb chargeable and various light modes.
  • +1 for the Knog Blinder, excellent light
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    See Sense Icon. The way it changes brightness and pattern depending on lighting and speed is genuinely eye catching to drivers and other road users. You can turn the brighten down when riding in a group too if necessary. More expensive, but worth it.
  • For riding in groups, I would avoid the Bontrager Flare R. I have one, and it is a great TT light (ideal for dual carriageways) but far too bright for riding in groups, even in 'Peloton' mode. Its battery life isn't too great either so needs frequent charging.

The see sense is even worse for group riding- one of my club mates has one and it is IMPOSSIBLE to ride behind him as it detects your front light and turns your whole world into a red strobing hell.

I personally use Cateye rapid mini on both of my main road bikes- they are teeny (but are still plenty bright), seem to be very tough and they have a long battery life when flashing.
    It also has a really neat pulsing mode that I use in groups which draws slightly more attention than the steady mode (and I may last a little longer) but isn't any more dazzling to riders behind you than the steady mode.
  • fluided
    fluided Posts: 114
    +1 for the See Sense Icon brilliant light as you can control the brightness from an app
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    bomster wrote:
    Moon Nebula gets my vote. Can be had for around £30 on a good day.

This for group rides.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • +1 See Sense Icon. It's already been said why it's brilliant.
  • Later today, I shall hopefully receive my ~£35 Moon Nebula, really hope it lives up to the promise of how good the coverage is according to several forums!

As a redundancy rear (and front) light, those Phaart silicon lights are brilliant for two squids, I have a Strap On (oo er missus!) but the £1 Bone Heads are presumably the same thing in a different chassis.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo