Apidura saddle bags

fat_tail
fat_tail Posts: 786
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
here's the thing.. I am sick of carrying my commuting kit (shirt, underpants, socks, a few tools and spare inner) on my back. So now looking around and was tempted by something like the Carradice Barley or Pendle. But that requires a saddle rack. Then I came across Apidura. Anyone use this or similar for their commute ? thoughts, experience etc welcome

thanks
Ridley Fenix SL

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    They make Rapha's saddle bags. I looked at them a while ago and ended up getting something similar but cheaper, more garish and more functional from Alpkit.

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/rapha-apidura

https://www.alpkit.com/products/koala
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • recommend ? does it work for shirt, underpants tools etc ?
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • I've used both a full frame bag (Revelate Designs) and Apidura style saddle pack (Blackburn Outpost). The frame bag was best for handling, but can't be fully waterproofed and when (over)stuffed, can rub your knees (also can't fit bidons with a full frame bag... though can with a half). The saddle pack is more convenient for commuting as mine's essentially a cradle for a dry bag.

Usual load is work clothes (shirt, trousers, socks, underpants) and bike tools (in their own plastic bag to keep grease away from clothes) - all fits with miles of space to spare. Yesterday was hauling 2x work outfits, 2x cycling outfits, a down jacket and some extra tools with no bother... would have been sore back time with a backpack, but instead was just 'slightly harder to control and take it easier in the corners' on the bike day.

Can't easily fit a laptop in the dry bag, but could in the frame bag... frame bag with internal dry bags would be the best option if you're looking to cart around anything that doesn't easily fit the rounded profile of a saddle pack.

To my mind the main considerations are waterproofing (e.g. saddle bag over back wheel gets VERY wet and the likes of Apidura aren't 100% waterproof), shape of storage vs. what you're intending to carry and the weight of your load (heavy saddle bag = dodgy handling... heavy frame bag = no real effect on handling).
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    @ prowlbass - that saddle bag of yours looks amusingly like a dog's wagging tail when you go over bumps...
  • thanks - very useful.

I am not planning on carrying a laptop. so the saddle bag sounds ideal.

Any issues with carbon seatpost ? I am assuming not as the load is carried on the saddle rails.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • hopkinb wrote:
    @ prowlbass - that saddle bag of yours looks amusingly like a dog's wagging tail when you go over bumps...
    :lol: it was VERY full... Don't know if you saw me on my way in or out, but heading home I'd rushed and not done the straps very well. Cornering was 'interesting'!

Normal load doesn't swing around that much, but might start loosening the straps for comedy value :lol:
  • fat_tail wrote:
    thanks - very useful.

I am not planning on carrying a laptop. so the saddle bag sounds ideal.

Any issues with carbon seatpost ? I am assuming not as the load is carried on the saddle rails.

Most suggest not using a carbon post and I have an aluminium post on my commuter anyway... Carbon rails on my saddle aren't showing any wear though and I know plenty who've used saddle bags with carbon posts for audaxing and touring.

Unless your carbon post has a weight limit near your own weight, I would't worry too much.
  • I've just bought a Restrap saddle pack after much googling on the subject.

It is unattractive, resembling some form of codpiece, but is rock steady in use and essentially allows you the same capacity as an 18l rucksack but without having it strapped to your back.

The downside is that it requires a stuff sack and the stuff sack has to be, errm, stuffed to some degree to allow it to strap down correctly. This means that it pretty much always has to be half full. Not a problem for me on the commute and it has allowed me to upgrade to an actual fluffy towel rather suffer with a microfibre one,
  • +1 on the Alpkit;seems waterproof although only once been caught in the rain with it,did have some issues with it swinging about but it was my shit packing and fitting was the problem :roll: Straps to a Deda carbon post and now issues there so far but most of the weight is taken by the saddle rails.

A rubbish pic of it on this morning;

img_20160914_072318620-jpg.143902
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra