11-speed on 10-speed

23scadoo
23scadoo Posts: 35
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Sorry if this is a stupid questions but I'm trying to figure out how this combination might work.

I have a 2010 Felt B16 which at that time was being manufactured as a 10-speed and I have a 2015 Felt AR5 11-speed. I just bought new Zipp 404 NSW wheels for the AR5 but would love to be able to use them on the B16 this weekend for a sprint triathlon since they are faster wheels than the Hed Alps that I have on the B16 currently.

I know that the pull ratio of the cable and the chain width won't work to just switch the wheel over but wondering if I could simply switch the cassette. the 404' say that they are 11-speed compatible but don't say anything about 10-speed. If they're 11-speed compatible are they assumed or understood to be 10-speed compatible?

If I can't switch the wheels between bikes then I'm not sure the point in having a tribike since the road bike will just always be faster.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If the freehub on the 11 speed wheel is compatible with your 10 speed cassette, and you fit the appropriate spacer, (1.85mm for Shimano), plus the spacer, if any, that came with the 10 speed cassette, you should be able to use your 11speed wheel on your 10 speed bike. I assume that Campagnolo wheels are the same/similar. You would be wise to check the set up, indexing and limit screws on the 10 speed transmission.
  • Thanks DJ. I wanted to see what someone thought before I started pulling wheels off and removing cassettes.

I failed to mention that both wheels are using Shimano cassettes with 105 derailleurs.