Only one piston working in brake calliper.

orlando_doggett
orlando_doggett Posts: 13
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, can someone help me out.

I was out on a ride the other day and right at the end I squeezed my rear brake it suddenly stopped working. The brake was not biting the disc. I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't really stop to look at it and carried on just using the front brake.

I've had a look at it today and from what I can see only one piston is responding when I'm pulling the lever. I took the pads out and removed the brake from the bike to check it.

The brake is a shimano deore fitted to a specialized enduro 2015. If someone could explain what's happened or give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A piston is gunged up, clean round it with alcohol, then holding the one piston in (a cable tie works) squeeze the lever to push the piston out and clean round it again, keep working it in and out cleaning each time, you may as well give the other a clean as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.