Giant Defy Advanced. 2016 vs 2017

winshent
winshent Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm a mountain biker so completely up to speed in the roadie world. I'm also a newbie on this forum. I'm now looking for a half decent road bike now that discs are finally going mainstream.

Was about to pull the trigger on a Defy Advanced Pro 2. However it seems that the 2016 models use standard quick releases whereas 2017 use the thru axle.

Main concern is in a few years time i won't be able to source replacement wheels if i need to.

Is this likely to be an issue?

Also can anyone explain the differences between the 2017 Advanced and Advanced Pro models other than the braking system?

Comments

• Nobody has a crystal ball, but you can still buy 26" MTB tyres and the naysayers were all doom and gloom about them when 29ers and 27.5's came out.

I reckon QR hubs will be available for the foreseeable future - plenty of bike are not through axle.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • The difference between Advanced and Advanced Pro models is normally saddle, bar and stem, carbon steerer and RideSense.
  • Bishbosh10 wrote:
    Nobody has a crystal ball, but you can still buy 26" MTB tyres and the naysayers were all doom and gloom about them when 29ers and 27.5's came out.

I reckon QR hubs will be available for the foreseeable future - plenty of bike are not through axle.

Yeah, I checked a couple of the main brands today.. Cannondale, Trek and Giant are offering thru axles on their 2017 bikes. However, Specialized are still running QR..
    Dan Walton wrote:
    The difference between Advanced and Advanced Pro models is normally saddle, bar and stem, carbon steerer and RideSense.

Just comparing the specs of the 2017 Advanced (£1,900) against Advanced Pro (£2,800, the key differences are the wheels, brakes (RS505 vs RS805/685), steerer, saddle, bar, stem and post.

Decisions, decisions !!!