Shimano Claris triple skips middle ring on downshift

stevekstevek
stevekstevek Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Workshop
I'm wondering if anyone has seen a problem like this.. I've searched about a bunch, and haven't found any tips towards a solution.

I have a ~1yr old low-end CX bike that came equipped with claris road gear. I did make some adjustments to it -- it wasn't shifting reliably because the front cage was too high.

The problem I am having now is that when downshifting from the big ring to the middle ring, the shifter goes all the way to the small ring. On upshifts, it works fine -- I can go from small -> middle -> big, and I can also do small -> middle and then back-off to the position in-between.

If I have the cable disconnected from the cage, and have just moderate tension on it, it seems to function correctly -- but with the full cable tension on everything it seems to skip like this.

It seems to be adjusted properly in terms of cage position vs shifter stops, as the middle ring location is spot-on, and the high/low limits look right and operate well. I'm thinking the issue is either the full tension of the cable stretches something in the shifter to cause whatever stops it in the middle index to "miss", or maybe the tension makes it snap down so fast that it doesn't have time to engage.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

It seems like reducing the spring force at the derailleur might be a good next step, if I can figure out how to go about that..

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,155
    maybe the cable tension is too high

presumably there's no barrel adjuster to allow you to tweak it?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:
    maybe the cable tension is too high

presumably there's no barrel adjuster to allow you to tweak it?

I do have a barrel adjuster -- but if I adjust that, I adjust the positioning of the cage in the middle position -- and it seems to be correct now.