Carrera Vulcan 2013 Recommissioning

starbuck88
starbuck88 Posts: 9
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I bought the bike back in 2013, used it for a short while, only for a few of your standard flat trails and around town.

Ended up just storing it due to lack of enjoyment/enthusiasm and found it difficult to ride smoothly, possibly due to the weight of the thing and tyres on hills, even on a flat surface I couldn't keep up with those 'hire' bikes, swapping bikes with friends and family, the difference in ease of riding was night and day.

Anyway, due to lots of things, including buying our first home together, I left it locked up in a bin store where we used to rent, I finally collected it yesterday and it's in a sorry state, It's basically been stood for 2.5 years.

The rear Derailleur is so rusty, it'll change up but then won't spring back down to change down. SRAM X4.

The Clarkes Skeletal brakes...well..they seem to be very tight/stuck on and when you pull on the lever DOT 4 gets squirted out a tiny hole that is in the cover for the reservoir, is that like a pressure thing to stop it damaging something else? (does it on both levers btw).

I don't want to spend a fortune but what should I do? Do you think I should ditch those brakes and get something new? what do you recommend and what adaptors etc for the calipers will I need?

I'll keep the SRAMX4 and buy a new one as it worked fine before.

I'd also like recommendations on some smoother/easier rolling tyres that are suitable for what I mentioned above.

I guess for what I do, it's not out of the box the right bike for me but I am in need of getting in shape and want it for commuting into town now I live a bit further away.

carreravulcan2013.jpg

Sorry for waffling.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume you mean the rear mech will change DOWN and not up, classic gummed up cables, they probably need changing and may well sort the issue without resorting to a rear mech.

The diaphragm has failed in the brakes, get onto CRC they are doing the (really rather good) Clarks M2 for £38 the pair, will bolt straight on where your existing brakes are using the same discs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.