Replacing brake cable on tiagra shifters

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Any tips on replacing the rear tiagra brake cable ? - Do I need to re tape the bar ? - only the inner that needs replacing, can I buy any old cable or is best to get the actual shimano part ?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pull the old one out, thread a new one in. Shouldn't need to un-tape/re-tape. As long as the cable is compatible, it doesn't matter what it is...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Doesn't need to be a Shimano cable, just needs the right shaped nipple for a road bike. Some after-market cables have a road nipple one end and MTB the other; just make sure you snip off the right one :D
    I prefer simple stainless steel inners.

Sometimes the cable threads straight through into the outer without catching, occasionally I end up having to untape the bar. Sods law usually dictates that it will be difficult if I don't have much time :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If it's anything like 105 5700 shifters it can be a PITA as the cable feeds in from underneath the shifter. Look at Shimano Tech Docs for you shifter model 46/4700.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    If it's anything like 105 5700 shifters it can be a PITA as the cable feeds in from underneath the shifter. Look at Shimano Tech Docs for you shifter model 46/4700.

Not the brake cable, which is the same for every model of Shimano STI lever probably ever. Feeds in the same way whether it's 4600 or 4700, through the top of the brake lever. If fed through correctly it should go straight into the cable outer and thus no removal of bar tape is necessary.

Just any cable is fine, I've found the Lifeline ones from Wiggle a good cheap alternative to Shimano ones.
  • One of the more pleasurable jobs - 30 seconds to take old one out, 5 mins to feed in, adjust brake, trim and cap new one.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.