Brake arm return problem

jameses
jameses Posts: 653
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Hope someone out there can help with this. I am having a problem with my front brake, Shimano DA 7800 series. The left brake arm does not return as much as the right arm after braking, so the left pad gradually moves closer to the rim and the right pad moves further away. It only happens by a very small amount each time, but the pad ends up rubbing slightly and I have to turn the whole caliper back to the centre position.

I have tried tightening the main screw through the fork; I also used a carbon grip paste when installing.
Tightening or loosening the grub screw on the left side does not stop the problem.
The brake cable runs smoothly through the outer.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Is the retainer nut the right length - is it bottoming out on the thread before clamping the brake? Try putting some washers under the caliper first.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Without the cable attached, do the caliper arms move freely? If not it probably needs lubing. Stripping it down completely and regreasing would be best, otherwise a soaking in penetrating fluid (remove pads first) then oiling the pivots should free things up.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    All sorted - there's a small screw underneath the brake arms that fixes them in place on the bolt that attaches the unit to the fork that was a bit loose.

Cheers for the replies