Vuelta Stage 16 *Spoilers*

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The Brownlee who won 2 golds is the taller one.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Can we start calling him 'drug cheat Yeats' to help me differentiate him from his clean brother?

I don't know, would that be Yeats the renowned Irish poet?

Well... his brother the Olympic medalist actually... we know all those Olympians are drug cheats...
  • Didnt see the stage today just saw the results - was there a reason there are no Sky riders near Froome at the finish? Knees is the closest about 40 seconds back
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    Can we start calling him 'drug cheat Yeats' to help me differentiate him from his clean brother?

Both having an brother who was an Olympian.

#FactAttack
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ridgerider wrote:
    Exactly...I am a visual learner, I need more than just a name to trigger recognition.

Simon is the one that looks like his brother. Adam is the other one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ...can't believe someone else had that Olympian fact posted before me....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Didnt see the stage today just saw the results - was there a reason there are no Sky riders near Froome at the finish? Knees is the closest about 40 seconds back

I didn't see the stage either but I'm guessing Froome did his usual sprint at the end trying to get a few seconds back on Quintana in case there was a split in the bunch.
  • Blancmange wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Is 'Simon' too intellectually taxing for you?

Oh Rich, we know you're the smart one and everything but you're being more than a tad sensitive here.

One brother has been banned for an anti-doping offence, the other hasn't. To pretend that isn't the case and that we can't make a comment about it really is putting your head in the sand.

We've had more than our fill of steak jokes on here...

Yep, the steakism on this forum is a bloody disgrace!

Take a deep breath and calm down.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

Well... his brother the Olympic medalist actually... we know all those Olympians are drug cheats...

Hurling?
  • Didnt see the stage today just saw the results - was there a reason there are no Sky riders near Froome at the finish? Knees is the closest about 40 seconds back

Froome still furious with them? No dinner for them two nights in a row
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    I know a Brownlee brother won two Olympic golds. I don't know which one.

That's nothing to be proud of. Everyone knows it was Alex Brownlee who has won the Olympic triathlon golds.

Nah, it was Adrian. Or was it Andy? :lol:

Fool. It was Anton Brownlee. ;)
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

You realise people remember things by events and images? I know a Brownlee brother won two Olympic golds. I don't know which one.

The tall one who doesn't have the serial killer eyes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Exactly...I am a visual learner, I need more than just a name to trigger recognition.
    Are you a Native American who needs names like Dances with Wolves?

If so here's the current GC:

1. Little Stoneface
    2. Spinning Legs
    3. Smiles A Lot
    4. Broken Leg
    5. Wheezing Bird
    6. China Gold

I can see why you stopped at the top 6...

OK I'll finish it off.

7. Sunburned Yankee Stole Our Land
    8. Elephant Man
    9. Who He
    10. Man With Small Shoes
  • Blancmange wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

Oh Rich, we know you're the smart one and everything but you're being more than a tad sensitive here.

One brother has been banned for an anti-doping offence, the other hasn't. To pretend that isn't the case and that we can't make a comment about it really is putting your head in the sand.

No, I won't! Steak Knives Matter.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • Ridgerider wrote:

Wouldn't that be the Irish potatoe? ( I know I had to get the e in there somewhere and just working on accompanying all the steak jokes :wink: ...)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    M.R.M. wrote:
    (Okay I know that speedos can be inaccurate, hence traditional 10% leeway, ...)

Is that why they are so popular on european beaches... :wink:

:lol:
  • Blancmange wrote:
    Blancmange wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

No, I won't! Steak Knives Matter.

You're hyperventilating. Just use the goddamn inhaler.
  • joelsim
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I know a Brownlee brother won two Olympic golds. I don't know which one.

That's nothing to be proud of. Everyone knows it was Alex Brownlee who has won the Olympic triathlon golds.

Nah, it was Adrian. Or was it Andy? :lol:

Fool. It was Anton Brownlee. ;)

Chocolate Brownlee.

Cabbage Brownlee clearly being the inferior one.
  • why call him drug cheat yeates? Why not massive asmatic that needs drugs to live but can still race up mountains. I have sympathy for him
  • You know there is an Alberto's Steakhouse in Amsterdam. I pass it every day on my way to work and every day I laugh. Juvenile I know, but I can't help it.
  • 4910242-Great_Steak_in_Amsterdam_Amsterdam.jpg

How's that for juvenile? 8)
  • ^That's the one.
  • why call him drug cheat yeates? Why not massive asmatic that needs drugs to live but can still race up mountains. I have sympathy for him

A ghost of a smirk
  • 4910242-Great_Steak_in_Amsterdam_Amsterdam.jpg

How's that for juvenile? 8)

Ok, I lol'd :D
  • joelsim
    Vuelta race director: Wednesday’s stage has the toughest 4km in the Vuelta history
    Race director Javier Guillen explained the climbs to Camins del Penyagolosa, finish of the 17th stage:

“I discovered this climb a long time ago. I went to see it with my technical team five years ago, we were in a car and suddenly everybody stopped talking. It was tough tough tough. But when we arrived to the top, we saw that the conditions were quite quite difficult. We tried to do something in terms of approach – some people to try to explore some possibilities and at the time we did not find the right conditions (for a stage finish here). But a year ago with the new Province administration we tried again to do this stage and we received a very good welcome. Everything was easy. I told them that we needed more space at the top.
  • Race director Javier Guillen went on to add, “I also discovered this climb a long time ago. I went to see it with my technical team five years ago, we were in a car and suddenly everybody stopped. It was bang, crash fly. But when we arrived to the top, we saw that the conditions were quite quite flat. We tried to do something in terms of approach – some people to try to explore some possibilities of attaching rockets to rider's bikes and at the time we did not find the right combustion (for a stage finish here). But a year ago with the new Space Launch System we tried again to do this stage and we received a very good touchdown. Everything was easy. I told them that we needed more spacesuits at the top."

brick-wall-cross.jpg
  • joelsim
    Race director Javier Guillen went on to add, “I also discovered this climb a long time ago. I went to see it with my technical team five years ago, we were in a car and suddenly everybody stopped. It was bang, crash fly. But when we arrived to the top, we saw that the conditions were quite quite flat. We tried to do something in terms of approach – some people to try to explore some possibilities of attaching rockets to rider's bikes and at the time we did not find the right combustion (for a stage finish here). But a year ago with the new Space Launch System we tried again to do this stage and we received a very good touchdown. Everything was easy. I told them that we needed more spacesuits at the top."

brick-wall-cross.jpg

Theresa May also said "Steep means steep".
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    dish_dash wrote:
    Ridgerider wrote:

Hurling?

Sorry TWH...

Jack Yeats holds the distinction of being Ireland's first medalist at the Olympic Games in the wake of creation of the Irish Free State. At the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris, Yeats' painting The Liffey Swim won a silver medal in the arts and culture segment of the Games.

Who knew eh?

Glynn_Alan.ashx?bc=ffffff&w=649
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,542
    Considering how mental some of the Vuelta climbs are that's quite a statement. Maybe everyone will be forced off their bikes which will play into Froome's hands with his experience of running up major climbs?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Surely that's got to be a Quintana friendly rather than Froome friendly ending? But it does give the race a chance to change I suppose as Froome HAS to challenge on there with a view to recovering at least 1:30, and either he'll explode or Quintana will. Or they'll dead heat.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)