handlebar advice please

fat daddy
fat daddy Posts: 2,605
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello,

I currently have an ITM anatomica 44 road 300 racing handle bar on my Roubaix. And I just cant get comfortable on the hoods , I find the ramp to the hoods just too harsh and the pain between my thumb and 1st finger just kills me after about 3 miles.

I have played with every variation of height, back and forwards of the saddle, post, stem and bars and the best I can get it is with the bars rotated right the way round so its flat from the tops to the hoods.... but then the Drops become unusable.

So !!!!

I am looking for a handle bar that has a very shallow ramp ... the best I have found so far that feels nice (in a shop) is a Zipp service course SL80, that only has a 7deg ramp from the tops to the hoods.

Is there any other better alternatives to the Zipp that has a shallow ramp .. or do I just go with the zipp ..... oh and before anyone asks, I don't know what defines "better" in handlebar world, I guess its all down to preference, but you never know someone might say, Ah, Zipp you are just paying for the name if you buy a "mr Spanky" its the same geo, but weights 50g less and is stiffer but with more dampening and girls love it

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited September 2016
    Not sure of the technicalities of the degree of ramp on them, but I find my 3T Ergonova bars VERY comfortable, they are carbon, so not sure if that makes them more or less comfortable than aluminium, but I now have them on two of my bikes, and I think that would now be my default bar choice.

Just bare in mind they measure the width at the drops, so I normally go for 40cm bars, but have ordered 42's in these, and they are 40 at the hoods.

Could an issue also be that they are not the right width for you?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    thanks for that ... looking at pics of bikes with the ergonova, they do seem flat from the tops to the hoods, a set up I cannot get with the ITM

Lighter than the sl80 as well which is always good

The ITM is 44cm which I find a little wide, so would probably be looking at a 42
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Lots of things to consider - overall bike fit and position can determine weight distribution and hence hand comfort. Also position of shifters on the curve can be critical independent of bar rotation. Different shifters width/length also.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I switched my stock Specialized bars out for some 3T Ergosums for the same reasons; I wanted a gentle tops-to-hoods transition and to still be able to use the drops, which wasn't really possible with the shape of my old bars.

There's loads of documentation on the 3T website to give you an idea of what they offer; the only criticism I have is that the white decals on their stuff rubs off and gets chipped really easily, so they do end up looking a bit tatty after a while. It doesn't bother me too much but I know some people who would have to replace them every year to keep them looking fresh!

SET-THE-BAR.jpg
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I had the same problem and tried the 3T Ergonovas and they were worse than the previous bars. If you have the ramp to the hoods near level then the top of the bars are not level and they need to be as they are flat(ish). I have since changed to Pro PLT bars which has a very short reach (65mm) and shallow drop and so the ramp to the hoods is now level and the ends of the drops extend further rearwards than the bar top so there is plenty of useable drops area.
  • sT Aeronova carbon stealth for me…I had issues with my wrists following a fall..fitted these..flat topped for comfort…and almost flat to hoods when set up right… not cheap…but what is in cycling!!!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    When I get back to the Uk, happy to take and post some pics of the bars, and angle of flat top, as fitted to my Synapse if that would help?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you are in pain after three Miles then it's a but More drastic than just new bars.

Too much weight on them so you need to sort your position.