Ideas on making my 2002 Rocky Mountain RM9 user friendly

machinebike
machinebike Posts: 39
edited September 2016 in MTB general
I bought it off of ebay, just took for a test spin after putting together.

I couldn't help but fly down the hill in front of my house and jump off the curb before making sure nothing will fall apart, but so far so good.

Then I rode it around the neighbor hood, and felt too much push against the front wheel has a 26 x 2.75 tire on front.

Then I felt my legs were restricted when pedalling, I couldn't feel my glutes doing any of the work.

The rear shock felt great when pedally, although I thought the spongy affect would be a prpoblem, but actuall turns out to be more fun (able to do bouncy bunny hops while riding on sidewalk).

I also felt friction while pedalling from chain rubbing against chain guide plate.

I have a single 36 tooth sprocket on front.

My questions are....
1. Can I buy a longer crank for pedalling without worrying about pedals hitting the ground over jumps?
2.Will a narrower front tire (maybe a 2.35 or 2.50) make a big difference, easier to pedal?
3. will a 32 tooth sprocket be easier than a 36?
4. Will longer crank arms help work the glutes more?
5. Will a seat post that curves to the back, making seat further from the front, help with pedalling power?
6. Do they have a chain guide plate where the chain wont rub against it?

Thanks everyone :D

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Can I ask what you intend to use it for? Yes you can do things to make it pedal better, however it's an old school downhill bike, it will always be heavy and it will always be a pig to pedal, no matter what you do it. That said, if you use it for its intended purpose, that shouldn't ever be much of a problem.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1 - Yes but I doubt it will make much difference.
    2 - Any size you want, depending on the rims.
    3 - Yes.
    4 - No.
    5 - No - it will put the saddle in a different place, which might be the right place. Or not.
    6 - No idea.

You will never make a decent bike out of it for riding round the hood. See here.

viewtopic.php?t=13069018
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It'll never be any good for anything other than downhill.
    It weighs as much as a cow and the suspension and geometry are just completely wrong for pedalling. If you ever try riding up hill you'll need more bull semen and shark testosterone injections than Lance Armstrong had in his entire career.