Has Steve Abraham started the year ride again?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,081
    Oh good. Good luck to him.

Has anyone got the strava link or other links please? I'm a lazy basket (long day, long week).

Seavogel did a lot of his on a recumbent. If SA does it all on a bike, even if he comes up a bot short, it will be a more genuine record.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Strava is down at the mo. I believe amanda coker is on for 80k miles riding around in circles, so it is going to be a big task.
    Fair play to Steve, its a big commitment so fingers crossed it all goes to plan for him.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pinno wrote:
    Oh good. Good luck to him.

Has anyone got the strava link or other links please? I'm a lazy basket (long day, long week).

Seavogel did a lot of his on a recumbent. If SA does it all on a bike, even if he comes up a bot short, it will be a more genuine record.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

that's his site, should have the links in there somewhere
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    Cheers CB. Didn't know the original would still be being used.
  • I guess he's going for the UK Year Record not the total year record? Amanda Coker is going crusing that one by continuing to ride on a super flat and super fast circuit at high speed being drafted along by a bunch a lot of the time (no recumbent though, lol). Good luck to him, but it's pretty mental doing it in the UK when the others have attempted - and succeeded - by riding in much more favourable conditions! He's one hard nut and I'm sure he'll do massive mileage!
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I guess he's going for the UK Year Record not the total year record? Amanda Coker is going crusing that one by continuing to ride on a super flat and super fast circuit at high speed being drafted along by a bunch a lot of the time (no recumbent though, lol). Good luck to him, but it's pretty mental doing it in the UK when the others have attempted - and succeeded - by riding in much more favourable conditions! He's one hard nut and I'm sure he'll do massive mileage!

She has been using a recumbent:

Laura McCain Morgan - Great goal! Are you gonna do it on the Schlitter bike? If you do, you've made a great choice, And you'll have two great recumbent legends backing you up with lots of "Bon Courage"!

Like · Reply · 1 · March 4, 2016 at 8:41pm
    Amanda Coker- Ultracyclist - HAM'R 2016 Yes ma'am, I will be splitting my time between the Encore and my upright.
    Thank you! Absolutely, they are wonderful people.

https://www.facebook.com/goamandacoker/ ... =3&theater

Practice run with comments:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    He has begun

https://www.strava.com/activities/886863536

Despite the relatively flat course (could be flatter!), he averages 7 km/h less than Amanda Coker, which means for the same mileage he needs to spend roughly 3 hours more per day on the road... tough!
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    > 500 km on day one... but also 20 hours on the saddle... sustainable pace?
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    > 500 km on day one... but also 20 hours on the saddle... sustainable pace?

No. It's an outstanding effort but I don't believe 4 hours sleep and 20 hours in the saddle every day is physically sustainable for a whole year. I don't know his physiology so maybe it is though, doubt it.
  • joe2008
    Steve had the luxury of starting his year fully rested at midnight, hence the 20 hour day. He has said that he will start his daily rides at 9am, instead of 5am last time, to avoid the 2 hour 'rush hour'. :shock: I don't see anyone before 9am where I live :D .

I reckon his days will be 9 to late evening, 14 - 15 hour days. 15 hours at 16mph, will equal Amanda, but will take some doing, good luck to him, I hope he succeeds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    joe2008 wrote:
    Steve had the luxury of starting his year fully rested at midnight, hence the 20 hour day. He has said that he will start his daily rides at 9am, instead of 5am last time, to avoid the 2 hour 'rush hour'. :shock: I don't see anyone before 9am where I live :D .

I reckon his days will be 9 to late evening, 14 - 15 hour days. 15 hours at 16mph, will equal Amanda, but will take some doing, good luck to him, I hope he succeeds.

Very borderline... 9 hours left in the day to have a proper meal, sleep and do any other thing. I would assume when you do that mileage you want to add at least 30 minutes a day of stretching/foam rolling or whatever to avoid a total leg collapse.

Very very tight schedule... being able to average 33 km/h is a different proposition altogether... :?
  • pinno
    Perhaps his strategy is to get lots of miles in early on and that gives him a little leeway? 500km's is approx. 170km's above the daily average required (330km's or 204 miles).

Also, he can spend a lot of time prepping, eating, stretching before 9am. Crucially, as the weather improves, he'll feel better and recover quicker. Maybe there will be a change of tack as the mornings get lighter, and warmer who knows? Perhaps we'll see a pattern soon and nothing is fixed.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I think he needs way more than 330 km a day... unless he is only after Tom Goodwin's record. Amanda Coker is clocking nearly 400 a day
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    HAMR really c*cked up by allowing recumbents to count didn't they.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ridiculous that recumbents are allowed. Steve is doing it the hard way.
  • joe2008
    Looks like he started at 6.15 today, no rush hour on Sunday I guess, could be another big day.
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    cougie wrote:

is amanda doing it on a recumbent? pictures I have seen haven't!?
  • ugo.santalucia
    joe2008 wrote:
    Looks like he started at 6.15 today, no rush hour on Sunday I guess, could be another big day.

Not massive, 370 Km
  • bobmcstuff
    benjamess wrote:
    cougie wrote:

She's using both as far as I know.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    benjamess wrote:
    cougie wrote:

She is indeed (see some earlier posts). To be honest, I lost all interest in the record itself when riding a recumbent on a flat circuit became the norm a couple of years ago. What next, someone setup on rollers at home doing the record in virtual miles? I don't like records that have too many rules associated with them but this one has just spiraled out of all control. SA is doing it the tough way but one senses he missed the boat when that moped took him out :-(
  • bobmcstuff
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    benjamess wrote:
    cougie wrote:

She is indeed (see some earlier posts). To be honest, I lost all interest in the record itself when riding a recumbent on a flat circuit became the norm a couple of years ago. What next, someone setup on rollers at home doing the record in virtual miles? I don't like records that have too many rules associated with them but this one has just spiraled out of all control. SA is doing it the tough way but one senses he missed the boat when that moped took him out :-(

They should have just said UCI compliant bike on open roads - simple.

They've made it more complicated by allowing recumbents (but not faired recumbents).
  • ugo.santalucia
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    benjamess wrote:
    cougie wrote:

They should have just said UCI compliant bike on open roads - simple.

They've made it more complicated by allowing recumbents (but not faired recumbents).

Clocking mileage for the sake of it is pointless. Looking at Steve's Strava he seems to have a huge range of loops and not loops... so it makes more sense, especially when he goes a long way away from home, like he did yeasterday. It is still pointless, as it falls in the category of wandering around on a bicycle for one year, but at least it shows that you can indeed go quite far with a bicycle and one can take inspiration to go further himself. Other attempts (you know which) are so ridiculous that are almost embarrassing to mention
  • pinno
    Maybe they will clarify the rules and retrospectively give him the title of the one that broke Tommy Godwin's record.
    I'll have more respect for SA exceeding TG's record than Kurt or Amanda, even if doesn't exceed their records.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pinno wrote:
    Maybe they will clarify the rules and retrospectively give him the title of the one that broke Tommy Godwin's record.
    I'll have more respect for SA exceeding TG's record than Kurt or Amanda, even if doesn't exceed their records.

Me too. Riding on British roads through the winter is real hardman stuff - riding round a circuit on a recumbent is clearly an impressive feat but it's not really comparable.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Is what sh'e doing any better tah doing it in a stationary bike, indoors?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Garry H wrote:

Fresh air, vitamin D and all of that
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:

Fresh air, vitamin D and all of that

So it's actually easier then :wink:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    How is he getting on?

He avoiding Mopeds?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • ugo.santalucia
    rubertoe wrote:
    How is he getting on?

He avoiding Mopeds?

350 yesterday... very good as compared to Tommy, not so good as compared to the loopers
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    the loopers
    A phrase that deserves to catch on