defy 1 or defy 1 disc

drummondjhn
drummondjhn Posts: 175
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
as title says defy 1 or defy 1 disc made mind up to get road bike great deals at moment on Giants on £80 difference between them any advice on what one people would advise would be great
Life is not a spectator sport

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends if you want disc brakes or not, doesn't it?
  • Life is not a spectator sport
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Like I said then, it's down to you if you want discs or not.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Depends if you want disc brakes or not, doesn't it?

Exactly... the " disc or not" thread is now more popular than the "which wheels" thread... if you want disc brakes, then get disc, otherwise not... there is really not a lot of difference.... in a way the colour of the frame is more important
    left the forum March 2023
  • cheers for replies think i will just go for one i like the look of
  • cheers for replies think i will just go for one i like the look of

That makes total sense. There is a lot, probably too much, information about the difference between rim and disc brakes. If you really are torn, do a search, no need to open the can of worms yet again
    left the forum March 2023
  • Err - wouldn't it be better to ride them and see what you prefer? Or is that a bit old-fashioned?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Err - wouldn't it be better to ride them and see what you prefer? Or is that a bit old-fashioned?

not in stock in bike shops near me so buying online
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The main difference with disc brakes is if you are heavier, ride in the wet , need to stop quickly a lot or need to stop on looser surfaces. If you are light weight and only ride in the dry on smooth roads there is less difference.

In general disc brakes give more powerful braking and also greater control with less effort which means you can brake harder without locking up the wheels.