A new affordable wheelset, any recommends?

Sweatlikeapig
Sweatlikeapig Posts: 25
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
After reading the forum I've got the impression that a new wheelset is a really beneficial upgrade to have for an improver.
I ride trails and XC, I've got a Scott Scale 760, had it a couple months and had to have the wheel trued twice so far.
Just put some new tyres on it and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent wheelset at a relatively good price. They seem to range quite a bit in price. I have £350, are there any on the market that are tried and tested for that price or do I need to save up more money if so how much should I be looking to save before I even start thinking wheelset?!

Appreciate your time and help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Can't go too wrong with these from Hope.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... prod147151
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Thanks. In budget aswell....I'll do some research and maybe buy these. Can't believe the prices of some..... £1500! I imagine there are some even more expensive too.
    It's an addictive sport this upgrade business!
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Bought my last build wheels from:

http://www.ptcycles.co.uk/
  • I have a set of Mavic Crossride on my GT. I have had them for almost a year and they've had a lot of XC use. In that time they haven't even loosened any spokes.

My original wheel set were constantly needing trueing and they ate bearings for fun. The Mavics are well within your budget too. I converted mine to tubeless very easily if you fancy that option too.

I highly recommend the Mavics.
  • I have a set of Mavic Crossride on my GT. I have had them for almost a year and they've had a lot of XC use. In that time they haven't even loosened any spokes.

My original wheel set were constantly needing trueing and they ate bearings for fun. The Mavics are well within your budget too. I converted mine to tubeless very easily if you fancy that option too.

I highly recommend the Mavics.
    If its the right set of Mavic, they are on offer at decathlon for £120 a wheelset
  • Thanks guys, I'll have a look at this now. Did the Quantock Quake today, front wheel is now grinding the brake again. Seems to be regular. That will be £40 on truing in 6 weeks.
    I'll let you know what I go for.
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... lsrc=aw.ds

Decathlon is out of stock....these are the same though I think. Good price too.

Maybe a stupid question but will a 650b fit my 650b Scott Scale 760 or is there more to it than that?
  • wmorgs wrote:
    Bought my last build wheels from:

http://www.ptcycles.co.uk/

These are actually really reasonable for custom ones. Although I've no clue what I would actually need. Just randomly clicking through the stages it came to £430!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at this now. Did the Quantock Quake today, front wheel is now grinding the brake again. Seems to be regular. That will be £40 on truing in 6 weeks.
    Are you saying the spokes are hitting the brake calliper?

If it's the disc grinding in the calliper it has nothing whatsoever to do with truing.

I wonder if your fixing a problem that isn't there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Thanks guys, I'll have a look at this now. Did the Quantock Quake today, front wheel is now grinding the brake again. Seems to be regular. That will be £40 on truing in 6 weeks.
    Are you saying the spokes are hitting the brake calliper?

If it's the disc grinding in the calliper it has nothing whatsoever to do with truing.

I wonder if your fixing a problem that isn't there.

The disc is touching the caliper as the wheel turns. It didnt do this pre ride but does now. Also when the wheel turns it's not perfect.

What would the problem be?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No idea, but it's certainly got F'all to do with wheel truing! The disc is attached directly to the hub, changing the spoke length to move the rim is clearly going to have no effect in that at all.

Is it definately the calliper touching the disc, if so it must have moved on the mounting for some reason, loosen, centre and tighten, if it's just dragging then it's probably some mud or crud in there, rinse it out with fresh water.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No idea, but it's certainly got F'all to do with wheel truing! The disc is attached directly to the hub, changing the spoke length to move the rim is clearly going to have no effect in that at all.

Is it definitely the calliper touching the disc, if so it must have moved on the mounting for some reason, loosen, centre and tighten, if it's just dragging then it's probably some mud or crud in there, rinse it out with fresh water.

Thanks, I'll take the wheels off and give it a good going over later. Hopefully that will fix it. Still want some new wheels though...and a dropper post....and some legs that dont cramp!