Bluemel mudguards, rear bridge.

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited September 2016 in Workshop
I just had the extremely unpleasant task of fitting these and although the instructions, which are pitifully bad, show a metal bridge for the rear it is actually plastic. Nice and simple to fit but, entirely predictably, it broke as soon as I tightened the brake which has to be tight so it doesn't move..I am leaving it like that for now as it is secure anyway but I was wondering if anyone else uses these and what do you do about the plastic bridge ?
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• SJS cycles can supply a new support bracket for the SKS Bluemels. Only a couple of pounds. Metal not plastic.
  • antfly
    Yeah I know but thanks, I have already ordered one from Evans as delivery is a lot cheaper, still twice the price with delivery. It seems a bit odd that it comes with such an unsuitable bracket and the "instructions" still refer to the metal one. They don't appear to be aimed at race bikes.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Not fit for purpose, which model did you buy? Their website states fixed and sliding brackets are stainless steel, the plastic bracket may have been put in to the package by mistake. Contact SKS by email and ask them to comment and send you a replacement metal bracket.

"Mudguard set for front and rear:
    – 35 mm with fixed bridges
    – 3 mm stainless steel stays
    – front angle, sliding bridges and fixed bridges made from stainless steel
    – security fastening ASR joint, angle adjustable"
  • antfly
    You're right it's not fit for purpose. I got the Matt black 35 ones, the video on the website shows a metal bracket too so maybe I did get the wrong one with my set. I have contacted the shop, see what they say.