VeloFlex Master Clincher 25s on Carbon Rims

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Got a pair of these to replace my Vittoria Open Corsa CX clinchers as I wanted tan walls.
I happened to read the box and noticed that Veloflex advise not to use these tyres with carbon rims!

They were to go on my full carbon 50s but I can't work out why the Masters shouldn't be used other than maybe the bead/rim fitment on carbon rims compared to aluminium. They are a tighter fit than the Vittoria Corsas to the point I needed tyres levers but not ridiculously so.

Any thoughts?
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    There are some reports and pix on internet of the very thin sidewalls of Veloflex tyres splitting along the bead seat when used with carbon clinchers. The issue has been debated on time trialling and other bike forums. Some get on fine with Veloflex, some don't.

Here's what sellers BikeTiresDirect say:
    Note: Some models of carbon fiber wheels have a sharp or inconsistent edge in the bead seat area, which could cause cuts in the casing of delicate Veloflex clinchers, potentially compromising the tires over time. Because they are not able to inspect every rim for such inconsistencies, Veloflex states that these tires are not compatible with carbon rims.
  • kfinlay
    Thanks Mercia Man - looks like I should just check my rims and make a decision from there. B-)
    Kev

• I probably should have read the box then as I've had a pair on my 303 clinchers for the last 6 months.

No problems so far and I'm not planning on swapping them but might keep a closer look on them now!
  • kfinlay
    I've decided to return mine, not so much due to the carbon rims as I've checked them and there are no sharp edges but they are just a pain in the @$$ to fit as they are really tight (Gigantex carbon rims on handbuilt wheels).
    Need to look at alternatives (that aren't £40+ each) or just stick with all black tyres - maybe Vittoria Open Corsa SL as EVO CXs seem to be discontinued and hard to get in 25s
    Kev

• kfinlay wrote:
    I've decided to return mine, not so much due to the carbon rims as I've checked them and there are no sharp edges but they are just a pain in the @$$ to fit as they are really tight (Gigantex carbon rims on handbuilt wheels).
    Need to look at alternatives (that aren't £40+ each) or just stick with all black tyres - maybe Vittoria Open Corsa SL as EVO CXs seem to be discontinued and hard to get in 25s

Tan wall is so last year... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023