Oh yes, it's autumn - Rear Lights

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat
Hi.

Just broken my rear light again ( £3.00 Planet x jobsworth riley) and looking to be properly prepared for, my first "no car winter", or as beztweets puts it:
beztweets wrote:

Since I run a pannier and mudguard, looking at the German/Dutch lights, and come across some Spanninga lights that have caught my eye - The Lineo (http://www.spanninga.com/products/rearlights/lineo/) and the Vena ( http://www.spanninga.com/products/rearlights/vena-2/), both of which are SvTZO compliant, which I really like.

Has anyone else on here got recommendations? Thinking an international order might be on hand ( unless someone's at Eurobike and can bring some back!)
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• Moon Comet
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I like my seesense icon, though I only bought it in March I think, so haven't had a huge amount of use from it yet, nor utilised all of its various features. It's very bright though.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Have an Exposure TraceR - small, bright, usb chargeable - works well.

Thinking of investing in a Cycliq Fly 6 after my recent experience with homicidal drivers.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Moon Comet

Nah - Moon Nebula for the win: http://www.awcycles.co.uk/moon-nebula-u ... light.html
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    This year for the first time I've run my rear light every ride morning noon and night, why not?!

It's one of those moon jobs and on day light mode is to bright to stay close behind for long, drafting is out and if you leave at that setting at night time they'll be one hell of a long queue behind you or you'll be dead in a ditch.

But we'll lit
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ALL the cool kids have see sense icons now. :D
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • But will the cool kids want a rear light with a HD camera, so they can have footage of that numpty who ran into them with a motor vehicle, but then gets a ridiculously lenient verdict in the court room?

https://www.merlincycles.com/cycliq-fly ... 90298.html

10% off lights at Merlin btw, the Moon Nebula is ~£35 after discount.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Heh, the see sense is way out of my current price range, looking £20, possibly £30 at a stretch.
    Looking for 2 lights, so that I've always got a backup, and really like the idea of a reflector in build for the pannier mount.
    I've got an aldi equivalent of the moon comet on a seat rail mount from last year, and the bike shop provided seat post mounted reflector/basic light but both are blocked by the pannier top bag when it's fitted, and I can't get them on the thin panniers.

I do have a Portland design works fenderbot, but that's currently in for a warranty replacement and I'm not sure it's up to scratch.

Anyway, more suggestions please!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • ALL the cool kids have see sense icons now. :D

They might do. I really want one to test......
  • Got the Icon and a TraceR,both pretty awesome in their own way,plus an Exposure Strada and Cat-Eye Volt 300 combo up front.

Also use AlpKits Tao lights as supplementary ones on the seat stays and front ones on the forks;was lit up like a Christmas tree last year.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza wrote:
    Got the Icon and a TraceR,both pretty awesome in their own way,plus an Exposure Strada and Cat-Eye Volt 300 combo up front.

Also use AlpKits Tao lights as supplementary ones on the seat stays and front ones on the forks;was lit up like a Christmas tree last year.

I was like an Xmas tree last year up front, with 3 lights on the rear and visible reflector, but have changed from rucksack to panniers and my lights from last year are now blocked so useless.

I love the idea of the fly 6, but after the Reginald Scot incident I don't want a light that low, but want a rear facing shoulder mounted one to minimise the window reflection.
  • I'm on the list to review this as well.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/pro ... hed-182562

Really looking forward to it. If it fits well and does what it says then I'd say it's going to be a great commuting addition.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    oldbazza wrote:
    Got the Icon and a TraceR,both pretty awesome in their own way,plus an Exposure Strada and Cat-Eye Volt 300 combo up front.

Where on earth do you ride that requires a Strada and a Volt 300?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Moon Comet

2nd. I love mine.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    oldbazza wrote:

Stop going off topic, this is a rear light thread ;-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Love my original see sense light especially now it's reprogrammed and has a bigger battery.

As for a back up the smart half watt lights work for me. Ridiculously cheap and bright.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    PX Moon Comet copy and TraceR on the seatpost/saddle and a PDW Fenderbot on the mudguard.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Saddle rail mounted TraceR and an ageing Lunar R1 (it has batteries, how retro )
    Might replace the R1 with the PX Canopus. Recently got a front one for a fiver, and very impressed with it's be-seen-ness. Shame they've gone up to £8 in the "sale" :roll:
  • SvTZO lamps don't flash (and are usually dynamo powered), the German authorities don't like flashing lights as they can "mesmerise tired or drunk drivers". I prefer flashy rear lights so go with something else even though I have a dynamo front.

Mine is a Topeak RedLight Mega, have had it for a couple of years.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... lite--mega

It's waterproof, quite bright* and has excellent side visibility. Did have a rattle, though which was fixed with a piece of inner tube.

*not one of the eye-melters that some people seem to like. I don't much like the idea of drivers behind me shielding their eyes.
  • I bought a couple of the new knog blinders mob from planet X when they were £16 each. The new chip on board LEDs are staggeringly bright and knog seemed to have sorted the inevitable rubber band failure mode by making the new design replaceable and incorporated the USB into the mounting rather than a flip out connector.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    One of the points of the eye melters is that they work as daytime running lights too.
  • I bought a couple of the new knog blinders mob from planet X when they were £16 each. The new chip on board LEDs are staggeringly bright and knog seemed to have sorted the inevitable rubber band failure mode by making the new design replaceable and incorporated the USB into the mounting rather than a flip out connector.

Have they made them visible from the side yet? I have one on my CR1, but you can't see diddly from much away from rear-on.

Have they made them visible from the side yet? I have one on my CR1, but you can't see diddly from much away from rear-on.
    No side visibility at all. They do have a wide visble angle unlike some lights with lenses and also gave a neat reflector section border around the led panel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still using my 3 year old Moin Shield 60 and a friend is still using his PX copy that is too years old, more than bright enough, sensible money, reliable and good after sales service (my friends daughter snapped the mounting lug off the light, they replaced it for $5 inc P&P).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    oldbazza wrote:

The Strada is for unlit country roads,the volt is on flash mode.I had the Volt first which was fine but needed something with a bit more oomph;it's also handy having the bar mounted remote switch so I can turn it up or down as needed.

The commute can be a mix of wide open fen roads,unlit cycle path(next to a river) and a busy A road so it's a mix of seeing were I'm going and being seen by others.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    The Rookie wrote:
    Still using my 3 year old Moin Shield 60 and a friend is still using his PX copy that is too years old, more than bright enough, sensible money, reliable and good after sales service (my friends daughter snapped the mounting lug off the light, they replaced it for $5 inc P&P).
    Ditto to use and breakage, but I just superglued it to the mount on the strap. I use it as a DRL over the summer for any ride on a fast/busy road and it also discourages drafters in flash mode.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've got a brand new B&M Toplight in a box at home if you want it. It's an AA battery powered one that goes on the end of a rack.

Name your price, the wife is asking me when I'm going to move it but I can't find a home for it.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    I've got a brand new B&M Toplight in a box at home if you want it. It's an AA battery powered one that goes on the end of a rack.

Name your price, the wife is asking me when I'm going to move it but I can't find a home for it.

DM inbound!