Quick question on Giant bikes

simey83
simey83 Posts: 113
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,

I used to mainly ride mountain bikes but now I want to get on the road! I have been looking at bikes for a while and have narrowed my search to the Giant Defy range (I have had Giant MTB's in the past and loved them). I am currently looking at the Defy 1 or the 0. I want to put a bit of money into it but nothing crazy, so I have limited my budget to 1K.

I have now been drawn to the Giant TCR Advanced 3, 2016 (which I can get "2nd hand", BNIB for a great price).

My question is, would I be better off sticking with the Defy, with mainly better components, or go for the TCR and upgrade when needed, if ever? Basically is the TCR a good budget carbon?

Any help/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Simon

Comments

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Defy in standard spec has more of an upright riding position and is aimed at the sportive market, the TCRs are more aggressive in their positioning however.

Depends on what you want it for and which you can get the better position for you on?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Giant have stopped making the Aluxx framed Defy bikes, it has been replaced by a new model, named the Contend for 2017, the Defy is still available as a carbon framed bike. So get moving if you want a Defy in Aluxx, as 2016 stock appears to be going fast in the popular sizes due to the current range being on sale.

As mentioned above the Defy is Giant's endurance geometry, were as the TCR is race geometry, you will need to decided which you prefer. It is mportant to buy the correct sized bike which ever model you decide on, as road bike geometry, is as you would expect different to Giant's MTB's.

You can find all the specs/geometry of the bikes on the Giant website.
  • simey83
    simey83 Posts: 113
    That's great guys. Thanks for the info. Ill try them both over the weekend.
  • I have a Defy for sale which may interest you. I've PM'd you with the details.