Advice on shoes for wide & flat foot?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I appreciate the description makes me sound like the yeti, but I've got virtually no arch and consequently my foot tends to be a wide fitting.

I want to upgrade from my Shimano A530 pedals to a dedicated road pedal, probably Speedplay.

I'm having difficulty on choosing the right shoe to go with it. Each shop recommends what they stock, and none near me have the widest range.

So using your hive mind, what do you recommend that has a wide fitting. I'm looking to spend no more than £150. Thanks

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Just try wide versions in shops, you might need to replace the insoles for a good fit. I bought Shimano 171 and it's nice a light pair that fit my wide foot well, but i lost a ratchet buckle screw ( can only buy whole buckle replacement for 25 ) so there's that.
  • I was told that Lake do a wider shoe and they also do a wide version of their normal shoe as well. I have a wide foot as well and ended up with a pair of Bonts which are not too bad but will be looking at a pair of Lakes to replace the Bonts in a year or two.
    Alex
  • I have proper wide Norfolk inbred feet designed for getting across marshland dykes at high speed to avoid amorous cousins.
    My Lake 402's have been a revelation, they're amazingly comfortable.
    They're much more £ than you want to spend but maybe look at the models further down the price chain.
  • You won't go far wrong with Specialized road shoes. Their 'Expert Road Shoe' comes in under your budget and should be good fit. Definitely something you need to go in store for though.

If you go for Specialized, you might also want to get the blue versions of their BodyGeometry insoles. They are for people who need some arch support.
  • Bont's. Very comfortable and do wide versions
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    I have wide and flat feet - exactly as you describe. I have some Bont Riots which have been a revelation to the comfort of my feet when cycling (I wear orthotics with them too)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Aren't LAKE made of Kangaroo leather? I'd bet most to have some ethical stand against it.

I sure wouldn't buy 'em. :shock:

To the OP, BONTS in general seem to be wide and flat. Check the Bont Blitz on Merlin, insane sale.
  • Lake CX237, in a 'wide' fit.
    Three-hole, so you'd need the adapter if going 4-hole Speedplay.

I've found that Lake in their standard-width shoes have a wider and flatter front than any other I've tried (have not tried Bont).

The 237 has a wider 'last' than the heat-moldable 402.

Just watch out for the heel design though.
    If you have a narrow heel, you may get some lift.
  • I've had some past success with Specialized, but Louis Garneaux are now my wide-fit shoes of choice, both for lightweight roadies and MTB.
  • Aren't LAKE made of Kangaroo leather? I'd bet most to have some ethical stand against it.

To the OP, BONTS in general seem to be wide and flat. Check the Bont Blitz on Merlin, insane sale.
    How is it different from cow leather?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo

To most people it is.

Hey, just saying. I use neither.
  • Cheers for all the tips. Hadn't looked at Lake at all. The CX237 and 218 both fall more or less in my budget. I tried on at lunch some Specialized Comp RD which were comfortable but fugly.

Any of the retailers stock Lake? If not I'll order from Sigma and try them on.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Aren't LAKE made of Kangaroo leather? I'd bet most to have some ethical stand against it.

To most people it is.

Hey, just saying. I use neither.

I don't think it is.

Bont for wide shoes IMO. I have wide feet and S works shoes are far too narrow.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • I got some Louis Garneaux and Im going to be putting some carbon fibre arch supports in them soon! hopefully wont bulk up my shoes to much!
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    I looked into wide fitting shoes recently after a bike fit and the wide fitting shoes i came across are: Shimano, Sidi, Lake & DMT. Got a Sidi. Note you have to opt for a Wide fitting for whatever size you require.
  • I've got reasonably wide and very flat feet. I've gone from Sidi Mega which I loved, to Lake CX237's in the standard fit.

Before I bought the Lake's I tried the Shimano r171 in standard and wide and I so wanted to buy them, but the fit wasn't right with either.

Even in the standard fit, the Lake's if I'm being picky, are a touch too big although I'd rather that than being a touch too small. I like to have a bit of wiggle room for my toes as find they go numb quickly in a shoe that is snug.

Go and try the shoes on whatever you do.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Mavic make some of their shoes in a wide 'Maxi' fitting - well worth a look.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18