POLL: How often do you ride?

Lungs94
Lungs94 Posts: 160
edited September 2016 in MTB general
How often do you ride your MTB every week? I ride 2 days a week due to work and commitments, but 2 days a week also keeps me happy, I think riding more would bum me out and I'd lose interest!

Commuting doesn't count
Bikes:
2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic

Comments

• bboti
    bboti Posts: 39
    I am wondering if you want to use these results somewhere or it is just out of curiosity.
  • Lungs94
    Just out of curiosity mate, I dont ride much and I wanted to know how often people ride compared to myself.
    Bikes:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Every day ! .. but then I am lucky enough to be able to commute, so can combine my hobby with going to work ... Weekends I go road riding or mountain biking

And Every morning I do group rides on Zwift

despite all of that, I am still slow, cant find a comfortable position on the hoods without hurting my thumbs, fail at right hand switchbacks and cant ride with my hands off the bars
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Usually 1 MTB ride a week (or when overseas a social road ride) plus commuting nearly every day to work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    One ride at the weekend plus one or two more in the week depending on which shift I'm on.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should either edit the question to specify on a bicycle or move the poll to Crudcatcher so we can include all riding.

Including the gimp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    yeah ... I "ride" every day ..... but I only MTB once a week
  • Yep everyday, week days i commute to work and include usually one night mtb ride, at weekends i road ride and mtb ride.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Commute every weekday, mtb one day at weekend.
  • I can't really place myself anywhere in this poll.

Typically will do 400-1200km a month.
    1-7 times a week, absolutely no long-term routine.
    Each ride can range anywhere between 15 to 120km.
    While I like riding all sorts of terrain, I'm not shy to cruise main roads at +/- 30km/h.

Regular commuting usually amounts to no more than 100km a month.
  • bboti
    bboti Posts: 39
    Lungs94 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity mate, I dont ride much and I wanted to know how often people ride compared to myself.

Actually I am very curious what the result will be. I always thought that the member of this forum ride a lot (like 5+ a week)
  • cooldad
    Unfortunately most of us have to work to pay for more bike sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lungs94
    Updated post, change your vote accordingly
    Bikes:
  • Lungs94
    I can't really place myself anywhere in this poll.

While I like riding all sorts of terrain, I'm not shy to cruise main roads at +/- 30km/h.

This is a Poll for Mountain Bikers matey.
    Bikes:
  • cooldad
    Lungs94 wrote:
    I can't really place myself anywhere in this poll.

Bit late - should have been more careful. And as a 'mountain biker', I also commute daily. On a mountain bike. Does that make me an honourary roadie or something in your eyes? If I do a bit on a bridleway or canal path, is that mountain biking?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lungs94
    Is it really THAT hard to understand what the poll was suggesting? I posted it in the MOUNTAIN BIKE forum, and when
    someone typically says "how much do you ride", do you take that as "how much do you ride your bike to work?" I think it's pretty obvious what he means if he posted it in MTB forum. Otherwise I would have posted it in the CrudCatcher forum.

Thanks for everyone who understood what was asked and voted

as for the people that didn't, use a bit of common sense and don't be pedantic. This forum seems petty, and it's always the select few, asked same question on pb and everyone understood. Thanks again
    Bikes:
  • cooldad
    It must be us - of the seven people who replied, all mentioned commuting. So we are wrong and you are right.
    Obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Lungs94
    Considering there are 26 votes in total, and the "7" which I can't be bothered to check but we'll go with what you say, thats 19 people who understood what I asked, thanks
    Bikes:
  • cooldad
    Did they? You assume, but they might have assumed too, just didn't comment.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    bboti wrote:
    I am wondering if you want to use these results somewhere or it is just out of curiosity.

How often do you wonder if we want to use these results somewhere?

1 time a week
    2 times a week
    when I'm having a toss
    when I'm on the bike which is 365 times a week
    Never

?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    cooldad wrote:
    It must be us - of the seven people who replied, all mentioned commuting. So we are wrong and you are right.
    Obviously.

I commute, but I am a mountaineer. So mountain bike is ok.

• Between 4 and 6 days a week for me at the moment on my hardtail.

I'm including commuting because on my ride home I extend the ride and it varies from what would be a 9 miles off road route directly home to a 20+ miles route depending on where I go. I take gravel tracks, fields and forestry on my route, no roads. So I'd say that counts.

I'm doing well over 100 miles a week on my MTB on average.
  • 2-3 times.... a month!
  • Lungs94 wrote:

Right...

I understand that to some bikers, mountain biking is either downhill or enduro, but XC still counts as mountain biking. It's the whole idea of "any terrain is a road". Get on the bike and ride anywhere you please.

Just recently, me and three other dudes went for a "hike". About 55km of mostly asphalt and dirt roads led us to a 6km long slippery wet rocky climb (735 m a.s.l. - not asking for personal info BTW). Awesome trip in every aspect. Had a beer and a massive pizza on the way back. Ended up carrying half of that pizza back home because I couldn't eat the whole thing in one sitting.

Now here's my question: Am I to state that we rode for 6km or that we had a 118km trip which included a 6km long climb in a terrain which a lot of people have trouble ascending on foot?

Yes, I'm highly oriented towards endurance and brute force. So what? My point is that unless you live in a very favorable location or load your bike onto a car to get to a park or smth, you can't avoid roads. And to me personally, getting to the destination is every bit as important as riding through the desired terrain.

As for the poll, the question is "how often do you ride". And I think my post summed it up quite clearly.
  • FishFish
    Why did you not share the massive pizza with your friends?

• Lucky enough to have an off road commute everyday. Is a blessing and a curse at the same time as I probably don't get out as much for 'pleasure' as I would if I wasn't riding to work.

Part of a small MTB group that usually get out once a week for a 15-20 mile evening ride and try to get bigger rides 30-40 miles organised once a month.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • FishFish wrote:
    Why did you not share the massive pizza with your friends?

We all had our own orders. The others were more realistic about what they can fit into their stomachs.