Shimano Chainring - Which Way Round?

quarkrad
quarkrad Posts: 51
edited September 2016 in Workshop
OK - I took the old one off before fitting the new one! Just bought a new chainring for 11sp 105 groupset - fc-5800l. There is obviously two different sides to this beast - the side with a protrusion has text stamped on it whereas the other (hollow) side does not. When fitting the crank which way round does it. Sorry for asking dumb question but not easy (for me) to find out. Thanks.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Page 21 of the DM-FC0003-6-ENG.PDF shows the correct installation of the chainrings on the crank arm. You can view it from this link http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/18 under the heading FC-5800
  • Thank you very much - not the clearest of pictures though. Looks to me that the side with the text stamped on it faces inwards towards the bike frame.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you are referring to the inner chainring, then yes when fitting to the crank arm off the bike the markings will be visible to you as you bolt it on. When you reinstall the crankset the markings will be facing toward the BB/frame.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Does it fit both ways? I remember the days when I used to turn a ring round to get more miles out of it once the teeth had turned to sharks fins. Maybe you can't on this but if it's difficult to tell, maybe it doesn't matter.

Just a thought.
  • No you can't do this with modern rings as some of the teeth are shaped specifically to aid smooth take up of the chain