Lazer Blade or Giro Savant?

HSimmonds95
HSimmonds95 Posts: 37
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for a decent helmet around the 50 - 70 GBP mark. Something nice looking. Did have my eye on the Giro Savant in the sale, but the 5 star review of the Lazer Blade has swung me towards it, also think it looks nicer in the matte black.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Cheers!

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    As always, go for the one with the best fit.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As above.
    Either buy both from an online shop and send one back, or get to your LBS and try them on.
  • Can't argue with that! Cheers guys.

Will have to get both ordered in LBS i reckon and just pop down and try.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Blade has an optional aeroshell, which may or may not be useful to you.
  • The Savant is available with MIPS
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I found the Blade to be a REALLY comfortable fit. Definitely worth it.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Lazer, Lazer, Lazer!

They are awesome, as a brand, I had 2 genesis helmets, but sold one, also have a Helium and a Z1, and have bought an aero one whose model name I forget.

I think their fitting mechanism means they fit more head shapes than your average helmet.

If you google Lazer Helium, loads of places have them for £70, and Mantel even have one for less than £50.

The UK Lazer site could be worth a look too, they had an excellent sale on, and is where I bought the Z1 and aero helmet from.
    Pretty sure they had a MIPS Helium for £70 or thereabouts.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    I have a big square head and the Savant fits me perfectly. YMMV

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • thanks for all the advice guys.

the Lazer Z1 would be the future goal! still on a budget for now. But 100 percent prefer the look of the Lazer helmets, going to do a bit of shopping this weekend.

Cheers!
  • I just got a blade and it's way more comfortable and better vented than my old Specialized Propero if that helps. I love it.

After I bought it I got an email from sportspursuit and they are knocking them out for £29 was gutted as that is a bargain!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I had to buy a helmet this time last year after I trashed my old one...I went into a shop with a very good range in brands and sizes/prices. I spent a lot of time trying them all on and walked away with the Savant. My point is not that the Savant is the right choice for you but that I tried about 30 helmets on priced from £30 up to £200 and the Savant fitted great and looked the perfect one for me. Hence, don't go in with any decisions made, just try some different ones on and the right one should pick itself.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I had to buy a helmet this time last year after I trashed my old one...I went into a shop with a very good range in brands and sizes/prices. I spent a lot of time trying them all on and walked away with the Savant. My point is not that the Savant is the right choice for you but that I tried about 30 helmets on priced from £30 up to £200 and the Savant fitted great and looked the perfect one for me. Hence, don't go in with any decisions made, just try some different ones on and the right one should pick itself.

this is what I'm probably going to do, must admit I do like the looks of the Lazer, and Lazer is a pretty cool name, but 100 percent all about the fit and look when on.

Thanks for your help!
  • Bobbinogs
    I had the Lazer O2 before and that also did the job and the fit is fairly similar to the Savant so it would also be worth looking out for, it is usually a tad cheaper than the Blade.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I had the Lazer O2 before and that also did the job and the fit is fairly similar to the Savant so it would also be worth looking out for, it is usually a tad cheaper than the Blade.

Yes i really like the shape of the O2 but read somewhere that it has lots of dead space in it? not as much of a hugging fit, it either fits small heads or massive heads?
  • Bobbinogs
    Nah, fit and dead space are two different things. The helmets have an internal cradle that adjusts very well to fit one's head. What can happen with the O2 is that, because it is one size across across a range of heads, there can be some dead space around the cradle or in certain areas...but I really don't see that as an issue if it fits well and looks good. My head is neither small or massive.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Nah, fit and dead space are two different things. The helmets have an internal cradle that adjusts very well to fit one's head. What can happen with the O2 is that, because it is one size across across a range of heads, there can be some dead space around the cradle or in certain areas...but I really don't see that as an issue if it fits well and looks good. My head is neither small or massive.

I see, I'll just have to give it a try I guess, it's a lovely shape. I'm more towards the large end. Got a BTwin one at the moment, it's a large, decent helmet for the price tag.
    Thanks mate!