Groupset

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've got a Kinesis Maxlight with Deore LX disc, and am thinking of upgrading the Groupset.

Any thoughts? I quite like the look of the a single ring, I don't need 21/27 gears for what I use it for, which is mainly on-road, pootling round the park and on trails. 9 or 10 would be perfect.

Lighter the better.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Either buy a groupset or individuals, both can be cheaper, just have to look around, Merlin are often good for groupsets.

Deore or SLX crankset are great, get a triple and buy a narrow wide single ring from the likes of Superstar.

Get a decent 10 speed cassette, again SLX is a good option and I'd pair with SLX shifter and mech, sensibly light but not as wallet bashing as XT. That or look for decent used buys on the Evilbay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • As Rookie said the obvious is an SLX 10 spd cassette, an SLX or Zee (depending on which is offering the best deal) rear mech, an SLX or Zee (again, best deal) 10 spd changer and a 10 spd chain. If your crankset is good then just drop the outer and inner rings off and put a decent narrow/wide chainring on the front - this combined with the clutch on the rear mech will ensure almost perfect chain retention.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Wow this is a whole different way of looking at it. I was thinking of getting a full gear/brakes groupset and using the disc rotors I already have.

I'll have a look into it more.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Packaged brakes will come with new discs anyway. The only time when they won't is if its an OEM install kit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.