Campagnolo Record shifting issues

dulwichiron
dulwichiron Posts: 86
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I have 10 speed campag record on my bike and I'm having a bugger getting the rear gear indexing setup correctly.

I can get the shifting right going up gears i.e. from easier to harder but when I shift down there is rub and I have to slightly depress the thumb shift to get it to index correctly. It's as if it is over shifting. I've also noticed I can slightly move the derailuer up and down before the click.

I've fitted a new chain, cassette, cable and outers. I've checked the cable guide under the BB and it appears clean. I've also shot a load of WD40 into the shifter.

Any ideas, i'm hoping the shifter isn't on it's way out.

Comments

• Not much help, but hopefully someone has an answer as I'm having exactly the same issue with some Chorus 9 speed shifters (same type of lever, Ergopower v2) and thought I'd been going mad. I too hope it's not the shifter going out!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I had a similar problem . I had clamped the cable on the wrong side of the clamp on the rear mech. The cable has to be on the wheel side of the clamp bolt. I could not believe the difference it made.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    I had a similar problem . I had clamped the cable on the wrong side of the clamp on the rear mech. The cable has to be on the wheel side of the clamp bolt. I could not believe the difference it made.

Thanks, I had read about that and am sure I have it the right way round. Will double check this evening again though.
  • Not much help, but hopefully someone has an answer as I'm having exactly the same issue with some Chorus 9 speed shifters (same type of lever, Ergopower v2) and thought I'd been going mad. I too hope it's not the shifter going out!
    Campagnolo changed the ratio between cable travel and derailleur travel half way through making the 9 speed system (I think it was from 1.2/1 to 1.4/1 but I can't find where I got that from now). I had the same problem, I got some replacement levers off ebay and the derailleur was indexing too far - the levers were obviously newer than my derailleur. Fortunately clamping the cable on the "wrong" side of the clamp bolt brought the indexing into line. As far as I know it doesn't make any difference which Campagnolo groupset you are using, just the period they were made. I'm currently running a Centaur derailleur with Record shifters, but I started with Veloce/Veloce and progressed via Centaur/Veloce.

If you've got the opposite problem (not indexing far enough) then the solution might not be so easy.
    Campagnolo changed the ratio between cable travel and derailleur travel half way through making the 9 speed system (I think it was from 1.2/1 to 1.4/1 but I can't find where I got that from now). I had the same problem, I got some replacement levers off ebay and the derailleur was indexing too far - the levers were obviously newer than my derailleur. Fortunately clamping the cable on the "wrong" side of the clamp bolt brought the indexing into line. As far as I know it doesn't make any difference which Campagnolo groupset you are using, just the period they were made. I'm currently running a Centaur derailleur with Record shifters, but I started with Veloce/Veloce and progressed via Centaur/Veloce.

If you've got the opposite problem (not indexing far enough) then the solution might not be so easy.

Definitely got the cable affixed to the correct side. No such confusion with Chorus and Record 9 speed shifters as the RD geometry change occurred when those two went to ten speeds, therefore any Record or Chorus 9 speed shifters will match - it's only Veloce and Daytona (now Centaur) where you have that issue as they stayed 9 speed for a period after the change.

Question to OP: do you find that the first shift up (hardest to second hardest gear) feels somewhat mushy, like it doesn't quite have a definite click like the others?
  • Thanks all for taking time to reply.

Have looked at the cable and it appears to be in the right place. I've taken a pic anyway, if you wouldn't mind running your eyes over it. Hopefully this link works https://1drv.ms/i/s!AivRaqP3P0Fxpx6DIKYjwZfeOCru

Raisinberry, I've just taken it out for a spin and can feel no difference in any of the shifts. They are all pretty snappy as normal.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    What I find really helpful is to see exactly where the rear derailleur is stopping when you up and down shift.

Take the chain off, ideally check the rear hanger is straight, and then shift up/down and you can move the derailleur up to see how the top jockey wheel aligns with the cassette sprockets. Much easier to see the alignment with the chain off and you can see exactly what's going on.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    drlodge wrote:
    What I find really helpful is to see exactly where the rear derailleur is stopping when you up and down shift.

Take the chain off, ideally check the rear hanger is straight, and then shift up/down and you can move the derailleur up to see how the top jockey wheel aligns with the cassette sprockets. Much easier to see the alignment with the chain off and you can see exactly what's going on.

This is what I do. Works well for me on Campag 9, 10 and 11 speed bikes. And Shimano as well.
  • Also long shot possibility - the spacers in Campag cassettes aren't all identical thickness IIRC. If at any time you have a cassette that has been "disassembled" then you may want to get a vernier or micrometer on the individual spacers between the cogs and check they've been put back in the correct sequence.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Also long shot possibility - the spacers in Campag cassettes aren't all identical thickness IIRC. If at any time you have a cassette that has been "disassembled" then you may want to get a vernier or micrometer on the individual spacers between the cogs and check they've been put back in the correct sequence.

Could well be this. And to make checking a little easier, the spacers are labelled in terms of which sprocket should be either side.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    You might want to check the rear mech hanger is correctly aligned too
  • Thanks for advice guys. Checked hanger and is correct. Cassette is a Miche one and I believe all their spacers are the same width. Although that has made me wonder if that could be the issue. I do have a genuine campag cassette on another bike so will try that out.

I also like drlodge's suggestion so will give that a go to see if I can get a better idea of the issue.
  • It wont be the miche cassette. It will be a slight alignment issue. I have record ten speed and a mixhe cassette. I have exactly the same issue sometimes. I think it is either the shifter not releasing enough cable somehow or more likely the mech not moving enough. I dont think in my case the cables are sticking but that might be your problem. I think for me the pivots no longer move as freely as they once did.

One day i will have enough time to get to the bottom of it on my bike. For yours check cables are moving freely. Check where the mech stops are set. If all that is correct then it either sticky mech pivots or something wrong in the shifter.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Update after further tinkering last night. Following Cyleclinics thoughts above I swapped over the rear derailleur from my winter bike (It's a veloce one) and it was much better. Therefore I think we have found the culprit and i guess like you say it's just not springing back correctly either due to worn parts or I'm hoping just sticking pivots.

I now need to give the record rear derailleur a thorough cleaning and regreasing to see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks all for advice.