Giro Empire SLX question

stevenb
stevenb Posts: 717
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
New pair of Giro Empire SLX shoes have arrived.
I have a question about them.
There is a shiny elastic tag that goes across the tongue under the laces.
On one of the shoes it's come away on the tongue.

Just need to know if it's a cosmetic thing or if it serves a purpose eg to tuck laces under.

Any help appreciated as I'm about to send them back without even trying them on.

Comments

• Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    It's for poking those laces under so they don't get in the way
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I have the Specialized equivalents, the elastic tag thing is indeed to tuck the laces under and is really useful. Send the shoes back.
  • stevenb
    Thanks guys. I ordered them from Mantel.com.
    I've emailed them to say about the broken tag and when you spend over £180 on shoes you expect them to be inspected prior to shipment.
    I just hope I don't have to pay an expensive return charge and not get a refund.
  • stevenb
    My wife says she can stick the elastic tag bit onto the tongue.
    To be honest, I don't know if I can be bothered waiting another week to send these back and then await a replacement pair. They are so much more comfy than the Giro Prolight SLX shoes I bought which were much to narrow in the toe box.
  • If you mean the elastic loop half way down under the laces its actually very important. You wouldnt want your laces to get caught in the drive chain. I tie a double bow then push the rest through that loop
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • stevenb
    It can be repaired though as it's only the stitching that's come loose.
    Of course laces wouldn't get caught in the chainset anyway as at the very least I would tuck them under the laces as it serves the same purpose.
    Can't be arsed with the return otherwise I would send them back.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my empires have lost the giro tag but have retained the elastic on the tongue. as long as thats there its fine. the giro tag just makes it easier to get the laces under