Bhf. London2brighton off road

arkitekt88
arkitekt88 Posts: 19
edited August 2016 in MTB general
So who else is doing this event at the end of September? Has anyone else had a crack at this before that could lend some words of advice?

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I'm doing it, haven't done anything like this before, I'd be interested in some advice if anyone has done it before.

I planning on using tablets/powders that I can mix with water to keep me going, with some food stops here and there. I heard they will have more food stops this year and bike mechanics on hand.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I've done it a few times with some mates and with my son last year. It's mostly not that technical, but there are a couple of bits that need more concentration, the worry on those is the number of people that really haven't got a clue. Start early to avoid the crowds. There's a long climb in the North Downs that can get quite busy and if there are a lot of people pushing it's really frustrating trying to get round them. Steep climb in the South Downs is tricky, if you have to stop it can be hard to get going (especially with SPDs), most people end up pushing that. I've ridden up it but by the time I got to the top I was turning inside out. But glad I rode it. I've done the ride on my CX bike which was quicker for most of it, but terrifying on a couple of descents. Best bike I've done that ride on is my Cotic 29er, but it's achievable on almost anything.
    Not much in the way of mechanics along the route, make sure you are self sufficient. I've helped get people going by using a split link on broken chains and I've seen a few rides ended by broken mech hangers. I saw one guy with a terminally buckled rear wheel that had been rear ended at the bottom of a hill so beware numpties.
    Not doing it this year as it's my son's 18th that day. I'll post if I think of anything else.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've done it a few times with some mates and with my son last year. It's mostly not that technical, but there are a couple of bits that need more concentration, the worry on those is the number of people that really haven't got a clue. Start early to avoid the crowds. There's a long climb in the North Downs that can get quite busy and if there are a lot of people pushing it's really frustrating trying to get round them. Steep climb in the South Downs is tricky, if you have to stop it can be hard to get going (especially with SPDs), most people end up pushing that. I've ridden up it but by the time I got to the top I was turning inside out. But glad I rode it. I've done the ride on my CX bike which was quicker for most of it, but terrifying on a couple of descents. Best bike I've done that ride on is my Cotic 29er, but it's achievable on almost anything.
    Not much in the way of mechanics along the route, make sure you are self sufficient. I've helped get people going by using a split link on broken chains and I've seen a few rides ended by broken mech hangers. I saw one guy with a terminally buckled rear wheel that had been rear ended at the bottom of a hill so beware numpties.
    Not doing it this year as it's my son's 18th that day. I'll post if I think of anything else.

I second that.

I did it last year and plan to do it this year as well.

I did also London to Southend this year - 40miles.

Its not technical but its long...It gets busy at some points, so would recommend to start as soon as possible.
    Not so hilly either, the Downs hill is a killer, as its very close to the finish so your legs will feel it!!
  • JGTR
    Cheers guys - where can I find all the info for the ride - the pack they gave me didn't have anything?? Do we just turn up or do we need to book a depart time???
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    JGTR wrote:
    Cheers guys - where can I find all the info for the ride - the pack they gave me didn't have anything?? Do we just turn up or do we need to book a depart time???

What are you after?

Have you registered online ?

If so, you should get your 'welcome pack' via post ?

Get your number attached to your bike other one to you shirt/camelback.

No need to book depart time just turn up at the start and they allocate you to the nearest starting group (they do limited number of riders in one group for safety reasons).

Enjoy.
  • JGTR
    Found what I needed now, just wanted to know where to start from etc, my welcome pack was pretty sparse of info and still awaiting my number.