SRAM Front Derailleur

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Just a quickie regarding SRAM Rival 22 front mech. I have this groupset on one of my bikes. I like SRAM and double tap (I have the original Rival GS on my winter bike) and am well impressed with the new yaw system. However, when shifting onto the small ring the 'release' of cable tension as it moves into the small ring is pretty severe. Everything changes ok and it seems to work perfectly (been fitted for about 2 months) but the tension almost seems excessive. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Crescent wrote:
    Just a quickie regarding SRAM Rival 22 front mech. I have this groupset on one of my bikes. I like SRAM and double tap (I have the original Rival GS on my winter bike) and am well impressed with the new yaw system. However, when shifting onto the small ring the 'release' of cable tension as it moves into the small ring is pretty severe. Everything changes ok and it seems to work perfectly (been fitted for about 2 months) but the tension almost seems excessive. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers.

It can be, but just slacken the tension very slightly for better release.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    How long have you had it?
    My rival was the same but has since settled down, in fact it used to remind me of the till in open all hours.

But I do like the groupset just not the front mech
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Mine was super snappy for a couple of rides then settled in, as said you can adjust the cable slightly which should solve it. Or leave it an scare the crap out of people on the downshift.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Thanks for the replies, sounds exactly as described above. It works really well though and changes are lovely and smooth. I suppose the extra travel/tension is due to the elimination of trim adjustment due to the yaw action, just takes a bit of getting used to I suppose.
    The till in Open All Hours sums it up perfectly :-)
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"