Anyone ever trimmed the seat tube (frame)

Jim_g
Jim_g Posts: 7
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Have any of you ever trimmed the seat tube (not seat post!) of a frame?

Got a boardman team FS 2012 and I wanted a little more clearance.

It is a large and I in hindsight should have a medium. I have a 50mm stem already so reach is fine.

I have an older reverb seat post that is taking up a lot of space too!!! But don't want to spend big money replacing.

Thought a couple of cm's off the frame away from welds might be ok??????

What do you think?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as you have space to cut down the seattube and make a new compression slot to allow the clamp to work and the frame tube isn't butted too close to the top removing support for the seatpost, then yes you would be OK.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jim_g
    Thanks for your reply bud.

I was worried about the seat tube, I've looked at the geometry and there seems to be room. All just thoughts at the moment, haven't plucked up the courage to do anything!!

Any idea how the seat clamp comes off. Is it as simple as undoing it? Or will it be fixed to the frame. It's an Allen key one not hand quick release.

Cheers
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep just undo and it will lift off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Jim_g
    Cheers for the advice.

I'll get on it over the next week.

Cheers all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should have added,always have a minimum radius of about 1.5mm (3mm hole) at the bottom of the compression slot to reduce stress concentrations.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • are you planing to trim the seat tube collar?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Hi all,

Cheers for the advice. I got 2cm off the seat tube and steerer tube. Thanks for the help!