Public footpaths

willmtb
willmtb Posts: 69
edited September 2016 in MTB general
Now as it says in the name public footpaths are for walkers on foot. However is it illegal to mountain bike on them because I've rode some decent MTB sections that were unfortunately on footpaths. So can you get prosecuted for riding a footpath? Or is it more your not meant too but if u want u can?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Whether there's a penalty or not you should avoid them.
    Footpaths are often just worn in to dirt and get ruined by bike tyres, especially in the wet.
    Also, you're going to encounter dogs off leads in narrow places and groups of walkers. It just leads to conflict with people who are entitled to use the paths and doesn't help the reputation of mountain bikers in your area.
    There's plenty of bridleways and trails which aren't footpaths so use them.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    It's a bit of a minefield. There is some good stuff here. The pertinent bit is...
    Cyclists have no right to cycle on footpaths away from the road but only commit an offence where local by-laws or traffic regulation orders create such an offence. Cyclists can ride on bridleways, but not on countryside footpaths. To do so is a civil tort, ie not a criminal matter, the landowner has to sue the transgressor for damages
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not cool to ride on footpaths.
  • willmtb
    willmtb Posts: 69
    Main reason I asked guys was because a footpath near me cuts out a cycle on busy roads to get to my nearest trail.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use a few, rarely see anyone actually walking on them. If there are I give them room and never have a problem.

Except for the odd person in thick socks and hiking boots.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    cooldad wrote:
    I use a few, rarely see anyone actually walking on them. If there are I give them room and never have a problem.

Except for the odd person in thick socks and hiking boots.

This. There's naff all bridleways around here and some footpaths are useful for getting from A to B. Not bumped into many people who actually cared yet (other than proper beardy ramblists, the sort that take offence at anything just because they have nothing else to do), even when I've bumped into the farmer while crossing their land.

So long as you're not being a nuisance and behave sensibly- don't got blasting round blind corners, give way to walkers, not bothering livestock, not damaging crops then do what you want. At the end of the day, if someone has a problem with you then just get off and walk.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I use them all the time, I live in South Rssex and I don't have much choice otherwise I'd be riding on the main A roads all the time.
  • Unless a route give specific permission to ride a bike, than we shouldn't use them.
    That being said, if nobody has an issue then take it sensible.

Wish the walkers and dog owners had the same mentality and knew what 'mountain bike trail' and 'no entry' signs meant. Might not have to avoid the buggers when on the trails around my area then.....
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It's like everything in this world, treat the people on the footpaths as respectfully as you'd want to be treated and there is unlikely to be a problem. Most of the rides around here need to have some element of footpath on them and I've only ever had a volley of abuse once (a couple of weeks ago as it happens) in years of cycling - and even then the husband just shook his head and gestured behind his wife's back that she was being rather silly.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I guess it depends on where you are and what what you're intending on doing (linking.bridleways, linking quiet commuter routes, going for a blast, etc.)

I'm not a mountain biker but have taken a few bridleways in my time and can see the enjoyment if I ever.had the cash for a third bike. I am however a keen walker (when I'm not on my road bike that is). I also ride a lot of mixed.use paths so know a bit about potential conflicts between user types.

My gut feeling is play it as you see it. By this I mean get to learn your area.and if there's conflict don't do it any more on that route.

I live.near the lakes and there's plenty of good MTB suitable bridleways to avoid footpaths IMHO. This means I'd tend to think avoiding the potential for conflict is more relevant. I've been at the receiving end of inconsiderate MTBers on footpaths and walkers on the bridleways. I know we all want to enjoy ourselves so bear that in mind and walk your bike if you experience conflict on a footpath.

If you're in an area without.good bridleways then I say ride the footpaths but as above avoid conflict and be prepared to walk your bikes past walkers.

One thing I find annoying is anyone who just slags off the other path user. It's not funny calling someone a name because they point out you haven't got rights of access on.a footpath. Bear in mind Ramblers fought for and protected access when mountain bikes weren't invented. Also there's a history of cycle routes too that date back to early days of the Ramblers and access battles in the peak district. Enjoy your hobby/sport/ pastime but leave the insults and aggro out. Every cyclist and walker is effectively an ambassador for their activity. Good PR to behave well.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    It's like everything in this world, treat the people on the footpaths as respectfully as you'd want to be treated and there is unlikely to be a problem. Most of the rides around here need to have some element of footpath on them and I've only ever had a volley of abuse once (a couple of weeks ago as it happens) in years of cycling - and even then the husband just shook his head and gestured behind his wife's back that she was being rather silly.
    We once had a load of abuse off some woman when riding up Snowdon (2-3 mph or so) in October. She wanted to know why we were ignoring the voluntary ban on the bridleways so we pointed out to her that it only runs from May-September so she shut up.

Some people just want to make your life as miserable as possible.
  • I ride footpaths occasionally, but try to be discerning about which ones, and when. Night riding is never really an issue ... busy bank holiday weekends are another matter altogether.

Generally, I think MTB'ers should have the right to ride where they like, irrespective of the legal designation of the path or trail, and I think there is enough space for us all to share ... but it is important to be considerate of other people enjoying and using the same space that we ride.

TBH, a significant amount of my off-road riding is on paths and trails that are not designated at all ... paths through the woods, over common land etc, that are neither designated footpaths or bridleways, but have just been in existence for generations as a consequence of human recreation within and on the edge of a large urban, industrialised area. (I'm not actually sure whether such trails are legally taboo or not?)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    willmtb wrote:
    Now as it says in the name public footpaths are for walkers on foot. However is it illegal to mountain bike on them because I've rode some decent MTB sections that were unfortunately on footpaths. So can you get prosecuted for riding a footpath? Or is it more your not meant too but if u want u can?
    A footpath is a right of way on private land.

It is not illegal to ride on one but it may be a trespass and the landowner could try and claim compensation through the civil courts (which frankly wouldn't be worth his while). If you have the landowners permission (and my local club have a significant amount of permissions from local farmers) then there is nothing wrong with cycling on a footpath (sensibly!).

As its not illegal you can't be prosecuted.

'Trespassers will be prosecuted' is a complete nonsense!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Good point that Rookie makes but where I lived a farmer had an injunction taken out on an individual who persistently used a private path of his. I believe that the court costs were awarded in the farmers favour. That is the risk. A criminal prosecution is not going to happen.

Well except if you lot cycle over one of my paths and I'll shoot you which may be the genesis of a criminal prosecution - but I'll claim self defence.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    An injunction is of course possible, but to do that the Framer would have to show repeated trespass despite requests not to and have the cyclists name and address. Court costs for an injunction will only be awarded if the court accepts they behaved unreasonably, that wouldn't happen after just one or two transgressions.

Its not something that will happen to many people, I'd suggest you would have to try rather hard to get one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    As long as common sense and consideration are applied it's rare to have a problem. Thinking whether riding a path is likely to cause a nuisance to walkers or damage the surface and using a bit of discretion is the best policy. I can think of two officially Public Footpaths that I ride regularly close to home, but as the reality is that they are both farm double track used by tractors etc. neither scaring walkers or churning the mud are an issue.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Whether there's a penalty or not you should avoid them.
    Footpaths are often just worn in to dirt and get ruined by bike tyres, especially in the wet.
    Also, you're going to encounter dogs off leads in narrow places and groups of walkers. It just leads to conflict with people who are entitled to use the paths and doesn't help the reputation of mountain bikers in your area.
    There's plenty of bridleways and trails which aren't footpaths so use them.

So you can speak for the whole of Britain and say that everyone has more than enough bridleways near them to make an interesting enough route without needing to go on a footpath.

:golfclap:
  • It depends on the footpath. I know the ones that are fine to use and the ones which are not. Locally most walkers are fine with bike on the paths but I tend to ride when there is no one about either at night.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.