Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

1st 40mile

crannmancrannman Posts: 99
edited September 2016 in Road beginners
1st 40 mile ride this morning 1,551 climbing ,average speed 15mph took me 2hr 30min very happy with that its been 3yrs in the making got back in the saddle at 53 yrs old done lots of 20miles 30 miles but today felt good so went for it :D

Posts

  • beak58beak58 Posts: 140
    Good ride that, well done sir.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,221
    Well done, keep at it. Just because we are of the older generation it doesn't mean we can't do it like some youngsters would prefer. Keep at it, but above all enjoy it.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • glennczglenncz Posts: 8
    Great! I'm 58 and have 12 >40 mile rides in this summer. Hope your wt is okay, that means a lot.
    The long rides get addictive. I have much fun planning them all out the day/nt before trying to get the best route w/ the less traffic, new roads further afield and either more or less hills depending on what I'm looking for. Better to start with less on longer rides than you are used to.

    I don't worry about eating unless the ride is over 30 miles. For 40 I might have a small chocolate bar at 25 miles or some fruit. For me, I've never had a problem with bonking and just eating a little. Don't eat too much, train your body to use glycogen or it's own fat stores, unless you are going over 60 miles, (4 hrs), then you have to be a little more careful to get some calories in the belly before they are called for.

    The longer rides are time consuming, hopefully with these shorter days your schedule allows time to get out during the day time during the week.
  • bflkbflk Posts: 240
    crannman wrote:
    1st 40 mile ride this morning 1,551 climbing ,average speed 15mph took me 2hr 30min very happy with that its been 3yrs in the making got back in the saddle at 53 yrs old done lots of 20miles 30 miles but today felt good so went for it :D

    Well done, glad you enjoyed it.
  • crannmancrannman Posts: 99
    thanks all was great to tick off 40mile got lots of local routes ( Rotherham ) if I loop them all together gives a 40miler felt ok after got a few more miles left in my legs . I'm lorry driver work stupid hours so weekends and odd ride in week build me looking forward to 45 mile now
  • diamonddogdiamonddog Posts: 3,368
    crannman wrote:
    thanks all was great to tick off 40mile got lots of local routes ( Rotherham ) if I loop them all together gives a 40miler felt ok after got a few more miles left in my legs . I'm lorry driver work stupid hours so weekends and odd ride in week build me looking forward to 45 mile now
    Wel done and keep at it, anywhere near Bramley area?
  • diamonddog wrote:
    crannman wrote:
    thanks all was great to tick off 40mile got lots of local routes ( Rotherham ) if I loop them all together gives a 40miler felt ok after got a few more miles left in my legs . I'm lorry driver work stupid hours so weekends and odd ride in week build me looking forward to 45 mile now
    Wel done and keep at it, anywhere near Bramley area?
    yes I do :D
  • diamonddogdiamonddog Posts: 3,368
    crannman wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:
    crannman wrote:
    thanks all was great to tick off 40mile got lots of local routes ( Rotherham ) if I loop them all together gives a 40miler felt ok after got a few more miles left in my legs . I'm lorry driver work stupid hours so weekends and odd ride in week build me looking forward to 45 mile now
    Wel done and keep at it, anywhere near Bramley area?
    yes I do :D
    Some handy routes out through Edlington/Oldcotes/Blyth, I'm lucky I do not have to work so can ride anytime and I'm out most days :) .
  • diamonddog wrote:
    crannman wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:
    crannman wrote:
    thanks all was great to tick off 40mile got lots of local routes ( Rotherham ) if I loop them all together gives a 40miler felt ok after got a few more miles left in my legs . I'm lorry driver work stupid hours so weekends and odd ride in week build me looking forward to 45 mile now
    Wel done and keep at it, anywhere near Bramley area?
    yes I do :D
    Some handy routes out through Edlington/Oldcotes/Blyth, I'm lucky I do not have to work so can ride anytime and I'm out most days :) .
    yes some great rides around area up around carr/brookhouse/ulley link them up with ones you mentioned and that's my route
  • drlodgedrlodge Posts: 4,824
    Well done and keep at it. 40-45 miles used to be a good distance for me, now I'll do 60-80 without blinking (but definitely stopping for cake) and century rides are doable without too much preparation. A 60 mile ride with a decent rest break/cake stop half way might be your next target?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Well done and keep at it. 40-45 miles used to be a good distance for me, now I'll do 60-80 without blinking (but definitely stopping for cake) and century rides are doable without too much preparation. A 60 mile ride with a decent rest break/cake stop half way might be your next target?
    ......when I first got back into cycling 10mile seemed a long way think the turning point was a holiday in Northumberland got some good rides in hilly too so when I got home just felt good :D
Sign In or Register to comment.