Help identifying MTB

K1664
K1664 Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,
Have read lots of threads on here recently and signed up as you all really know your stuff!

I am after a bike, cheap, as it is just to get me going really. I have local woodlands nearby and am not too far from Delamere so at the moment those are the only off road targets, although a biking friend of mine keeps telling me Llandegla is a must :shock:

I am only looking for a cheap spend at the moment as I simply might not get sucked in, but I also don't want something that will break first chance it gets. I have been scouring ebay and Gumtree and recently missed out on what seemed to be a bargin Voodoo Bantu (£180 with extra bits) and a Giant, XTC I think it was for £170 and these seem to be rated bikes for entry level at least.

Now, if your still with me, the question. I have seen a specialized on eBay, looks tatty but nothing I imagine will effect it too bad, not sure if I can post links but the item number is 142077524315 and is £165. I cannot see frm the pictures the model as I like to read reviews of pretty much everyhting I buy so I messaged the seeler who said he does not know but the frame is light :roll: Can anyone tell from the pic what it is? Is it worth that price tag? And are non-disc brakes a bad thing for my intended use?

Thank in advance for anyone reading all of that and any answers.

Cheers

Comments

• Arthfael
    Arthfael Posts: 30
    Just link it, tried the search by item number but I cannot find it for some reason
  • K1664
    Hi,
    Its this one http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/142077524315?_mwBanner=1

Thanks for looking
  • Arthfael
    Well, I dont really have an idea on what used bike prices are in the UK, but here for the price I could find better. Now from the looks of it, that bike is a bit "old school" XC(crosscountry), for any soft riding around town or some light dirt roads seems ok to me, but on the other hand there is huge lack of info, like wheel sizing, frame sizing etc. I dont seem to recognize the model though. Also keep in mind that Vbrakes are not the best option, they tend to wear off easily.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Don't buy that. I'd pay maybe £40 for it to use as a pub bike.
  • K1664
    Arthfael wrote:
    Well, I dont really have an idea on what used bike prices are in the UK, but here for the price I could find better. Now from the looks of it, that bike is a bit "old school" XC(crosscountry), for any soft riding around town or some light dirt roads seems ok to me, but on the other hand there is huge lack of info, like wheel sizing, frame sizing etc. I dont seem to recognize the model though. Also keep in mind that Vbrakes are not the best option, they tend to wear off easily.

Thanks for that, I did wonder about the brakes and wether they'd wear quickly. The seller said the only info he has is in the title 20" Frame 21 Trigger Gears 26" Wheels. I'm in no rush so I guess I'll keep looking for a bit.
    whyamihere wrote:
    Don't buy that. I'd pay maybe £40 for it to use as a pub bike.

Is it that bad? :lol: Think I'll probably skip it though.

Thanks for the feedback guys
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think it's a 2010ish Rockhopper. Decent enough bike and not too overpriced. I think £40 is a ridiculous suggestion to be honest and it's a perfectly competent xc mountain bike and more than capable of proper off road riding.
    The advert clearly says 26" wheels.
  • K1664
    I think it's a 2010ish Rockhopper. Decent enough bike and not too overpriced. I think £40 is a ridiculous suggestion to be honest and it's a perfectly competent xc mountain bike and more than capable of proper off road riding.

Thanks for that, so if I'm looking around this sort of price range would that be an ok starter you think?

I'm certainly going to be doing any advanced trails in the near future but i suppose a fork upgrade is easy enough?

Are the brakes something I should be worrying about as a beginner or will the v ones be ok bar having to replace them when they wear.

Appreciate all this feedback :D
  • Arthfael
    Yeah, me being blind ahahahaha
  • whyamihere
    You are joking? The linked bike is 21 speed, no name fork, v brakes... £40 was generous.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those frames sell for at least that. It's worth around £120 max.
    I'd avoid v brakes.
  • K1664
    Would i be better making an offer on something like this?
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/252499909398?_mwBanner=1

There doesn't seem to be many bikes local to me that aren't Carrera, not that I know enough to be picky haha
  • whyamihere
    Those frames sell for at least that. It's worth around £120 max.
    I'd avoid v brakes.
    Maybe if it was a 2010 Rockhopper. It isn't. There's no disc mount on the frame. If it's a Rockhopper, it's old.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nearer 2000 than 2010 I'd suggest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.