3rd time at Cannock. What a belter :)

Danieljephcott
Danieljephcott Posts: 334
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
So about a month into my mountain biking and weight loss. Blumin loving it so far and the weight is still coming off. I did 4 pounds this week :).

Anyway 3rd time at Cannock and it was awesome. Properly wet and soggy but great fun. Last time I went it was damp and really didn't enjoy the first half, zero confidence and even tho I put a maxxis high roller on the front to help it was so slippy. This time with the tyre pressures low it was a dream. Loads of confidence. I also managed half of the cardiac hill whereas the first time I had to pretty much walk the whole way.

Had a bit of a scary moment near the end. I think it's the let loose bit right at the end but the front felt really weird. Got to the end of that section and some guy mentioned my quick release had come loose. Eeek that could have ended badly. Must not of tightened it enough, I was so surprised the the wheel stayed on actually.

Anyway great run and done it around 25 mins quicker the first time, fitness is defo getting better :).

Bikes in the garage at the moment but when it stops chucking it down I'll give it a good clean. Bought the muc off twin pack thing with the cleaner and the aresol can stuff. Also a chain brush so I can get all the grit off. Any idea where and what to use the areasol for? Also got some of the wet lube for the chain as well.

Anyway here's some pics

EF23D17B-8B8E-4A7B-AA05-F51175262DE5.jpg

32FFC94D-6A66-40E2-A23F-B0D59BCF7FF2.jpg

98B0C0E9-B50F-4DB0-9B82-04B0EB20820E.jpg

Comments

• It's been cleaned to perfection tonight. Used the muc off stuff and also snow foamed the whole bike- quite into my car detailing :). Bought a chain brush so done all the chain, cassette and all around the pedals. Also the gear shifters sounded gritty so had a poke around in there as well.

Then used that muc off protect stuff around the gears etc. Made sure it didn't get on the brakes and then wet lubed the chain.

All seems good :) however it's due it 6 week freebie at Halfords which the gears need a little adjustment and also the front wheel is a little wobbly so could do with the spokes being adjusted.

I could not believe that wheel stayed on, I was very lucky and I was hammering it down there. Good thing I weight so much as that must have kept the wheel on :) haha
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The wheel will have stayed on because of the lips on the fork, the bits that cause you to loosen the skewer a long way before taking the wheel off. They're there specifically to keep the wheel on if the skewer loosens.
  • And thank the inventor for this amazing idea :). Phew
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They're called 'lawyers lips' and started because some idiots couldn't cope with QR and sued when their faces hit the road.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    They're called 'lawyers lips' and started because some idiots couldn't cope with QR and sued when their faces hit the road.

Guilty as charged
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you think Cannocks good just wait until you go somewhere good!
    Keep it up and it gets easier in no time. As you get fitter you can do more and go faster and have even more fun.
  • How much pressure do you take out of your tyres prior to going on a trail?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doesn't that depend on what you started with?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So far I normally have around 35-40 rear and around 35 front but i found that when its wet this was far to much. last time i went i think i had around 25ish rear and front.

What I would suggest is spending that first section trying to figure out the right pressure as bizarrely i find it the slippyest bit. If you find that you have to much in stop and let a little out and just keep repeating until your happy.

remember Im running tubes and im very heavy which are huge factors.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    So far I normally have around 35-40 rear and around 35 front but i found that when its wet this was far to much. last time i went i think i had around 25ish rear and front.

What I would suggest is spending that first section trying to figure out the right pressure as bizarrely i find it the slippyest bit. If you find that you have to much in stop and let a little out and just keep repeating until your happy.

remember Im running tubes and im very heavy which are huge factors.
    The first section in the wet is horrendous because of the exposed stones. I normally skip it unless it's dry, because it's simply no fun.
  • Is the surface still mainly the red pea gravel? That's quite possibly the worst thing to use in the world.

Except for cheese, that'd make a poor surface too.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • my first experience with that first section in the wet really put me off, really didnt like it and knocked the little amount of confidence i had.

i changed my front tyre to a maxxis high roller and let the preasure down and the difference was massive. much better ride at almost the same speed in the dry.

the surface are quite big stones(grapefruit size) which are so polished and shiney its unreal. blumin awful.

first half of cannock is always a pain, all those stones and then cardiac hill haha. from cardiac onwards its fantastic.

chainslapper is probably my fav bit.