saturday all along the watchtower

sungod
sungod Posts: 17,125
edited August 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

the day beckons like a beckony thing, or at least it will once it gets light, then i ride

but where first for a cafe solo, yaiza or femes, that is the question, as is dylan or hendrix
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,081
    Mmmmm lazy day by the pool followed by a meal out :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,691
    Hendrix over Dylan, no contest.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Slow morning. Toots are jaded after first week of term which is great, 'cos it's all calm and peaceful in Casa Pinno.

Jut might have another coffee and coerce the progeny into a walk.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    lumpy 90km, femes, hendrix

outside in the distance a wildcat did growl, two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,691
    Did you nod, wave or say hello to the two riders approaching? Were they wearing helmets? Was it a headwind?
    Traditional slow start has been had, this will shortly be followed by walking about 100 yards to a BBQ at a friend's gaff. Beer will be had and burnt dead animal will be consumed, much bollox will be spoke.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Been busy making sure the puppy remains mental. Currently watching the football. May head out for a spin later, not bothered since my return from the sun.

Missus bought me the Rapha Ventoux jersey. Don't need another but nice thought from her. May go back though, the fitting isn't the usual Rapha.

Another vote for Hendrix over Dylan on this matter.
    GJ Oxo on the PB

Time to find another holiday and clean the bike whilst the second half is on.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Pitch black when I went for this mornings ride .... Decided to try out the cycle path

Seriously who the hell uses cycle paths on pavements ... During the day you can't safely do 20-25 without mowing pedestrians down ... But at 5 in the morning it's even worse, no people, but like flying down the death star trench relying on the Force to avoid the pot holes, street furniture, road crossings ... anything above 20mph feels like 70.
  • Lazy day today. Finally cleaned and put the Pompetamine back together for tomorrow's ride out to a beer festival. As well as beer the food is always good, with some excellent Indian scran. I would happily cycle 16 or so miles for a samosa or three.
    Also being lazy cos I finally coerced the Mrs into an evening ride last night along the seafront in perfect conditions. And then I was wide awake at six, dammit.
    I will dissent: Dylan over Hendrix. Because Dylan wrote "Quinn The Eskimo", and Hendrix did not.
    And "All Along The Watchtower", for that matter.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • sungod
    [...]
    I will dissent: Dylan over Hendrix. Because Dylan wrote "Quinn The Eskimo", and Hendrix did not.
    And "All Along The Watchtower", for that matter.

oooooo, controversial!

writing quinn the eskimo is grounds for a hard banning, with fire

dylan wrote all along the watchtower, but hendrix performed it better
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Flâneur wrote:
    Been busy making sure the puppy remains mental.
    When did you get the new hound flan? What breed?

Anyway, who needs Lanzarote when you've got Redcar :)

Busy day spend driving, shopping and sorting parental disasters. Now relaxing at last watching the footy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Hendrix of course :D, bit of a Hendrix fan hence my avatar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Don't think Dylan ever managed to add anything to his songs by singing them himself.
  • Flâneur
    If we went for who wrote our favourite songs, very few of our favourite artists would feature

On Wednesday Stevo, the Weimaraner had gotten lazy/lonely/lethargic since the loss of our other dog. Got another working springer, mostly by chance. Someone shared a link from FB after it had been returned to the breeder due to a house move. I thought fuck it I'll come home from France and get her, then hope it all works out.

You'll enjoy your match more than I enjoyed mine
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Sorry about the loss of your dog, people don't realise how much that can affect someone. But getting a puppy should cheer both of you up. Ours is 14 months now and thinks he's human.

I listened to your game on radio 5 live in the car on the way up North earlier. Sounded like a good one from a neutrals pov.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Don't think Dylan ever managed to add anything to his songs by singing them himself.
    That is a rare example of Bally Talking balls.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    Springers are full of beans. Love 'em.
  • Flâneur
    Thanks Stevo.
    It probably was for the neutral, was probably a fair result. I just felt Liverpool defended poorly and missed some chances (beyond Couts first) Ref should have done better with the shirt pulling if they are to follow up the memo

Idd Pinno, though I suspect this dog may be the brightest we have ever had. Going to find a Trials trainer so I can keep her in top form (not going to compete mind)
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Yep, Liverpool sounded like they had the better of it overall but a point from the Spuds at Shyte Hart Lane isn't too bad.

Hope all goes well with the new dog.
  • pinno
    Flâneur wrote:
    Thanks Stevo.
    It probably was for the neutral, was probably a fair result. I just felt Liverpool defended poorly and missed some chances (beyond Couts first) Ref should have done better with the shirt pulling if they are to follow up the memo

Idd Pinno, though I suspect this dog may be the brightest we have ever had. Going to find a Trials trainer so I can keep her in top form (not going to compete mind)

We used to breed Spaniels. Whisky won the East African Gundog Championship at the age of 4 (1976) (son of Hawkhill Connaught - 87cc).

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/english ... -connaught

No record of progeny that was exported. Might be worth contacting them and updating.

Brandy won her class 75, 76 and 77. her daughter Missy won the Junior in '78 (Daughter of Brandy and Whisky). I'm only saying this because I can compare the working breed with the 'show set'. There's a contradiction in that the show Springers had a much better natural working instinct than the working breed. 'Brutus' was a working dog but needed far more training than any previous Springer we had and he was slightly hyper.
    He passed away 6 weeks short of his 16th and haven't had a dog since. When the girls are older, I have a good mind to get a Welsh Springer. I like the thick set, feathering and the temperament won't kill me. Brutus and I would do 5 hour walks up and down hills and he would be bouncing off the walls the very next day.
  • Stevo_666
    You seem to know you hounds Mr P.

As you might expect from me, I can recommend a very good hybrid as a family pet :) Like you say, probably better to wait until your kids are a bit older.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You seem to know you hounds Mr P.

As you might expect from me, I can recommend a very good hybrid as a family pet :) Like you say, probably better to wait until your kids are a bit older.

It might be an option. I'm only really familiar with Spaniels. The Cockerpoodledoo just might be an option. The list of options is abbreviated by:

Boxer - Love em but they don't live long.
    Toy up to West Highland terrier, Border Terrier, Corgi, Dachshund, Cocker Spaniel size (including miniature poodles) - don't want one.
    Irish Red Setter - Gorgeous dog but neurotic by 9 years old.
    Labrador - lovely dog, The best with children but I prefer a bit more energy about a dog.
    Doberman. Lovely temperament in the right hands but a bit big just like the Weimar.
    Pug: I'm not a chav.
    Poodle. Very clever but I don't really like the look of them - even with a lamb cut.
    Old English sheepdog and Rough Collies - been bred to shreds. Have friends with Old English sheepdogs and whilst full of beans, they are mental Rough collies have noses that are far too long which has compromised brain capacity. Not that good with other dogs.
    Newfoundland - far too big.
    Collies - don't want a round 'em up and they need tons of exercise. Best left with farmers.
    Alsation. I've met good one's, bad one's and very timid one's. Too much of a character lottery.
    St Bernard - Too big and too hairy.
    Whippet/Greyhound. No thanks.
    Bulldog - over bred and because of the over breeding which causes breathing problems and needs surgery. Don't live long.

Which leaves:
    Golden Retrievers
    Spaniels
    or some poor 57 variety hound left at the local pound who needs a home.

Now, the one I haven't mentioned is the Tervuran Belgian Shepherd. Bit hairy but a lovely dog.

Tervuren.JPG
  • Stevo_666
    Ours is about knee high and weighs just short of 14 kg so not a tiddler but no so big it can eat small children. Quite a good compromise I suppose.

The looks vary a lot from spaniel to poodle and anything in between once you get to second generation (I.e. breeding cockerpoo with cockerpoo rather than cocker spaniel with poodle) so its a case of find one that you like the look of.