Bit with tubeless valves, what is it?

neilus
neilus Posts: 245
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Hiya
valve-tubeless-roue-route-dt-swiss-road-32-mm-tvxxxxxs09710s.jpg
That thing on the left, do I need it, and if do what for? And if not, why the hell is it there? Nice of Stans to include zero instructions with their kit, always goes down well.
Cheers!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It's to take the core out, to aid faster inflation and for getting sealant in.
  • neilus
    Great, thanks!
  • neilus
    Jesus what a kerfuffle. Got the back one done yesterday but the front is just refusing to inflate even using a compressor at the garage. Any tips?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Soapy water on the bead and a CO2 cartridge. Or, make a tubeless inflator from a coke bottle - Lots of instruction videos on Youtube.
  • neilus
    The coke bottle thing looks great! About the soapy water, I tried this this morning and the tire inflated but there was clearly air escaping in one place cos there were some frothy bubbles and the tire deflated pretty quickly. Is that normal? I wasn't sure what to make of it...
  • Isn't your tire new? Folded? If so, put a regular tube in, inflate fully and let it "sit" for a day or so.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The sealant is there to fix those little leaks......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • neilus
    The Rookie wrote:
    The sealant is there to fix those little leaks......

Yep, thats the idea i guess. Both are done now with sealant inside but the rear which i did yesterday doesnt seem to be holding in the air 100%. Just tightened the valve nut and inner bit a with pliers a bit (not excessively) so hopefully thats 100% airtight and pumped the new Nobby Nic up to its max 50psi to really push the beading. Fingers crossed it works.
    Thank god for garages with free compressor pumps!