Bizango to 1 x speed

chocolate_brake_pads
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all!

Been lurking on this forum for a while but only just decided to register.

I have a Voodoo Bizango which I have had for nearly 2 years as a starter mtb as I am a bit of a newb. I am starting to get to grips with it all now and like to maintain the bike myself.

I want to upgrade the triple chainset from 3 x 9 to a 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 and then add a dropper post.
What would be the best way to do this upgrade? Do I just need a chainring and a cassette and stick them on?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, it will probably save me from wasting money on incorrect parts.

Cheers

Matt

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Chainring, cassette, chain, shifter and rear mech. It's an easy conversion.
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Chainring, cassette, chain, shifter and rear mech. It's an easy conversion.

cool thanks, don't suppose a 10 speed cassette will fit straight on my rear wheel?

cheers

oh and what is the best sized chain ring to get for all round terrain in general?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To go from 3x9 to 1x10
    Cassette, chain and narrow wide front ring (and probably chainring bolts), you also need rear mech and shifter (if its Shimano you can just buy a road spec 10 speed shifter to work with a 9 speed mech but think it's SRAM?).

10 speed cassette fits the same freehub as 8 and 9 speed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    A 10 or 11 speed cassette will actually fit straight on to your hub, they're the same width as a 9 speed. For chainring size, I'd start with a 32 or 34 and see how you go.
  • That's awesome, cheers for the heads up, that's cleared up a lot for me.

Rookie my drivetrain is shimano, deore shifters and rear mech and altus front derailleur. I guess I'll prob just scope out some bits off ebay and get a rear mech + shifter that's deore 10 or 11 speed. depends how much more 11 speed costs compared to the 10 speed.

cheers guys
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Used 10 speed mech and shifter will set you back around £20 each, 11 quite a bit more.

I have a nice XTR mech and lucked into a road shifter for £20 so it was an obvious choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Used 10 speed mech and shifter will set you back around £20 each, 11 quite a bit more.

I have a nice XTR mech and lucked into a road shifter for £20 so it was an obvious choice.

Ah that's encouraging, good to know it's not going to cost the earth. Pretty much a no brainer then really!