I noticed a lot of Halfords recommendations recently...

2»

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    If you are going to buy branded bike parts or tools then why not use Halfords? Shimano components are the same in any shop. I go there to buy cleaning stuff or the odd chain or cable. Plus I get British Cycling member discount on anything I buy there bike related or otherwise.

Becaus Halford are more expensive than most other retailers.
  • JGTR wrote:
    If you are going to buy branded bike parts or tools then why not use Halfords? Shimano components are the same in any shop. I go there to buy cleaning stuff or the odd chain or cable. Plus I get British Cycling member discount on anything I buy there bike related or otherwise.

Not always, they have loads of random sales and also accept vouchers from most companies.

It's not binary.
  • JGTR wrote:

Not always, they have loads of random sales and also accept vouchers from most companies.

It's not binary.

Things I bought recently from Halfords

10 speed Ultegra chain £17.99 (Wiggle £20.50)
    5ltr Muc-Off £21 (Wiggle same price)
    Shimano 105 11-28 10sp cassette £26.74 (Wiggle £34.91)

Add to that the 10% BC discount how can you say Halfords are expensive?
  • JGTR
    how can you say Halfords are expensive?

Because they are?

The chain you bought is 114 links, the 116 link chain from Halfords is £20.50 (same a Wiggle and £3.51 more expensive than most other places).
  • JGTR wrote:
    how can you say Halfords are expensive?

Because they are?

The chain you bought is 114 links, the 116 link chain from Halfords is £20.50 (same a Wiggle and £3.51 more expensive than most other places).

Still the cassette was more expensive and the cleaner was the same price AND I got a discount open to anyone who wants to join BC. I think you're just splitting hairs because you have a grudge. If you don't like them that's fine but they are not as expensive as you suggest

Edit : I decided to take a quick look and the same chain is £20.99 in Chain Reaction and £29.99 in Evans and since these are the Big Three retailers I would say Halfords are quite competitively priced.
  • compuwiz_uk
    compuwiz_uk Posts: 139
    Light slides into holder until it clicks. Holder itself was secured by bolt which tightens clamp to handlebars. The light just fell off (cant even remember if I hit a bump, or if the road was just not very smooth causing vibrations). This means it wasnt well built. Altho it was probably cheap, as it was sold as a bike light (which is somewhat safety critical) there should be a minimum standard.

would the light in question have been the USB rechargable front & rear kit for around the £20 mark ( a small black cylinder for the rear & a much larger silver front cylinder ( cheaper knockoffs of similar looking cateye type units )

if so, i have these & they work fine on my 29er & cx in commute mode but on the cheap ass commuter road bike with 23c tyres bought to keep the other bikes off the commute i found that the rough roads could occasionally knock the light out of the front light mount.

it lived the 2 times it happened, ran over it the 2nd time too so it is a sturdy beast, it got cured with the simple application of a wrap of double sided velcro strip round the light & fitting meaning it was unable to unclip by itself & now i give in & jump off the bike when the road gets too rough & the light stays solid lol.
  • JGTR
    Lol I don't have a grudge, it's just a shop. I find it expensive the times that I've been in there.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    EXACTLY!!!.

This is why the government is buying the new F35 fighter from Lockheed Martin and NOT from Halfords.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Tone C
    Tone C Posts: 30
    Got 2 mechanics in my local Halfords that I trust to tinker with my bikes. The rest I don't trust having overheard conversations over the years with other staff and customers . I also asked 2 different members of staff about the fork on a specific bike that I was looking at for my son. Both told me it was an air fork when I knew that it wasn't...

On the other hand I was about to chain my German Shepherd up outside whilst I popped in to pick up an order I'd placed. The woman on the counter insisted I bring her in and now the mutt and I mooch around Halfords together which is pleasant enough...good customer service..
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Met the manager at Thetford - used to be a sponsored rider and very knowledgeable on MTB.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Plodder82
    Plodder82 Posts: 31
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Halfords. Their own brand bikes (Carrera) are the best value bikes ever.If you are to lazy to build your own very,very simple, easily put together bike,then I have no sympathy.Or buy a fully boxed bike and let your local bike shop build it for you. Halfords STAFF can be often,utterly and completely useless!!
    If your only complaint about Halfords is that their bikes don't come set up out from the shop, then you are a typical moaning c***!
  • Plodder82
    Plodder82 Posts: 31
    Anyone who owns a bike NEEDS to learn how to set up a bike,,,simples!!!