Looking for adventure road bike

alexaverbuch
alexaverbuch Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'm looking to buy a bike and would love some assistance.

The intended use of the bike is:
* Daily ride to/from work on sealed roads: ~15min each way
* Fast weekend rides 85% sealed, 15% gravel: ~150km
* Occasional touring/camping trips, 85% sealed, 15% gravel: ~1000km

Some requirements:
* Fittings for racks
* Drop handlebars
* 11x2 or 10x2 gears
* Budget approximately = $2,400 / €2,200 / £1,800

I'm not sure about the following:
* Aluminium vs Steel vs Titanium frame
* From what I've read Titanium is too expensive and Aluminium too rigid, so Steel is what I want
* Mechanical vs Hydraulic brakes
* From what I've read, I want hydraulic
* Which brands/models to look at

I haven't found/decided-on the bike I want yet, and am hoping that by asking here I'll get a lead to the right bike.

That said, I have explored a bit and these bikes seem close to what I want:
* Genesis - Equilibrium Disc 30 (Steel)
* Brodie - Tiber (Steel)
* Brodie - Romax (Aluminium)
* Bulls - Grinder 2 (Aluminium)
* Jamis - Renegade Exploit (Steel)
* Masi - CXGR Supremo (Steel)
* Rose - Team DX Cross 2000 AR (Aluminium)
* Niner - RLT 9 (Aluminium/Steel)
* Genesis - Equilibrium Disc 30 (Steel)
* Kona - Roadhouse 2016 (Steel)
* Planet X Tempest Titanium Gravel Road Bike

If you have any advice I would warmly welcome it feedback about one of the bikes in my list, or a recommendation for some other bikes.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• chris217
    chris217 Posts: 217
    Try the specialized diverge range

Very comfortable, as responsive as an average road bike but very capable off road as well
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Worth looking at the Genesis Croix de Fer as well as the Equilibrium.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Don't envy you, there's a lot of choice these days, as you've listed. I'd be tempted by a Kona Roadhouse myself. Not sure I'd go carbon given the opportunity for rock/stone strikes (but I also think carbon melts when in contact with h2o)...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I bought the Renegade Elite last year which was subsequently Road.CC's
    "Bike of the Year". Apart from having Thru Axles, which I don't see the need of, it's been a great bike and, when I was looking, had the best spec for the money. The only UK supplier I could find was Evans who were very hit-and-miss. Carbon is fine (in response to the comments above) but not in your budget and, given your choice, I'd take steel.

A left-field choice (as if you didn't have enough) is the Volagi Viaje but I think there's only one UK supplier.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Out of that list i'd go for the Canyon Inflite
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I bought the Renegade Elite last year which was subsequently Road.CC's
    "Bike of the Year". Apart from having Thru Axles, which I don't see the need of, it's been a great bike and, when I was looking, had the best spec for the money. The only UK supplier I could find was Evans who were very hit-and-miss. Carbon is fine (in response to the comments above) but not in your budget and, given your choice, I'd take steel.
    the Jamis Renegade Expert 2017 (carbon) is marginally within my budget. I'm very tempted... just not sure if it would work as an occasional touring bike. I'd like it to carry ~15kg (30-35 lbs) on those occasions