Ultegra 6800 brake lever clicking sound

Lancer5790
Lancer5790 Posts: 6
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Been bothered for a while by the clicking sound whenever i press initially my ultegra 6800 brake lever. Looking from the side of the hood, i could see the cable jump a bit and there comes the click sound. Any thoughts?

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Inner cable probably a bit sticky, remove, clean and relube or ideally replace.
  • already replaced the cable 4x. Smoothen cable housing end too. But problem still exists
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Is the calliper springing back fully? Pull the calliper open by hand then pull the brake lever and release it and see if the 'click' is present.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could be a cable outer issue not sitting correctly in the shifter or brake so jumping when squeezed. Is the outer the right length and routed correctly?
  • Btw, it's a brand new giant defy2 advanced bike. Do there should be no problem with antiquity. I just replaced the stock 105 brake/shifter levers together with new brake cables (shifter cable is stock). Looks like clicking activity is under the hood. Looks like the cable is touching something on slight pressure causing the click. This did not happen with the stock 105. And yes, it's happening on both l&r levers
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Was the cable all seated properly in the brake lever when you clamped it up at the brake itself?

If there was slack in it then there will be slack now so it's just floating up and down.

Undo at brake, pull through again so it's seated correctly, do up.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Was the cable all seated properly in the brake lever when you clamped it up at the brake itself?

If there was slack in it then there will be slack now so it's just floating up and down.

Undo at brake, pull through again so it's seated correctly, do up.

Yes. Cable is snug and properly clamped. No slack
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Who replaced the levers / cables? You, or was it done by the supplier?

Are we talking brand new 6800 levers and the matching cable outers / inners / ferrules, end caps etc