upgrade Di2 or Ultegra 6800 + wheels

spannerdude
spannerdude Posts: 56
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi

sorry if this is a repeat or other posts,

I am looking to upgrade the groupset on my roubaix sl4 running 10sp 105 & fulcrum racing Quattro wheels.

do I go for DI2 6870 or Ultegra 6800 and some new wheels. Hmmmm

is the DI2 worth the extra £s.

I have the budget for one or the other

thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does your bike have internal cable routing?
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    6800 and Zondas without a shadow of a doubt.
  • Yes my Frame does have the internal tubing

Fulcrums have done 2.5k and the 105 3.5k

cheers
  • mugensi
    I had 5700 105 and Quattros on my Felt F5 and changed to 6800 and Zondas. The difference in huge, 5700 is horrible in comparison to 6800, its clunky and the FD changer is downright nasty, IME.

The Quattros are nice wheels, stiff and relatively fast considering their weight. There is a nice weight drop to Zondas and you'll find some gains especially on climbs.

Changing to Di2 means the bike is going to feel the exact same to cycle (on the flat or on hills) but changing gears will be faster and slicker other than that it will effectively feel no different.

Change to 6800 and new wheels.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    6800 and new wheels.
    I just replaced a di2 bike with a mechnical 6800 and I don't regret it. Sure there are times when it takes an additional 0.1 of a second to change gear and I occasionally need to manually trim the front mech - but I can live with that for the saving.
  • MugenSi wrote:
    6800 and Zondas without a shadow of a doubt.

+1million
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    Each to there own but I have just upgraded from 6700 to Di2 and I love it. I have 6800 on another bike which I use for different things. Di2 is great and I have not regretted it at all. The whole ride is much better, yes it is only about changeing the gears but I think it has been worth it. Depends what you want.
    D
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    6800 shifters, rear mech and brakes, 5800 front mech, cassette and chain. No mad rush to change the chainset beyond the aesthetics, plus there's a wider variety of aftermarket rings for the old 5 arm style. Performance is identical to all but the cork-sniffiest of standards, and an extra 140-ish quid on wheels is a nice bump.
  • Just to add to the choice

High on bikes have a £100 of SRAM e-tap this weekend :shock:

What I am going to do now?
  • Speaking as a Di2 fan, if I could only do mechanical with good wheels..thats the route i would go..I love my Di2 but its a real luxury that I could live without…but cheap wheels are just poor to ride on … they alter your pleasure element far more than the Di2 would in my opinion…but then again..thats all it is…my opinion..you are free to chose whatever you like…if I were you I might be tempted to burn the bridges and go for both!! Good wheels and Di2!!
    Funnily enough I just sold a set of Fulcrum Racing Zeros too!!!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think you need to take a step back and try and look at what you want to achieve rather than just how to spend some money. Splurging that cash won't really be an upgrade as such, just get the some 'nicer' wheels and/or a groupset that shifts a little slicker.

If your main riding is hilly then some decent climbing wheels could feel nice but I wouldn't be looking at anything less than something like Ksyriums with their new profile and wider rim but they cost about £400...then again if you weigh 95kg the gains will be very marginal. If you are slightly large then you might consider some really good handbuilts but, again, the benefits will be small given that quattros really are ok. If you are a fast rider and ride on the flats then maybe some good 50mm wheels with great rubber will be a good spend, irrespective of the grouppo.

I am sure some people will talk endlessly about the benefits of 11 gears but I ride on 9 speed and don't seem to suffer too much. I have found that a lot comes down to good setup and maintenance rather than xx00 or yy00.

So, try and approach the question from another angle, what is the best way to spend some money you have given the riding you do and the kind of rider you are and see what the answer is. The answer might be a nice spring holiday in Majorca!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    If the Quattro are worn, replace them. But I doubt that they are yet. Zonda will save about 100g which is nothing. We know nothing of your tyres, you could make better changes there, the Quattro are excellent wheels. You won't perceive any climbing difference with Zonda. If the Quattro are the LG and the Zonda not it's not even a good swap. If the Quattro are not LG and you choose Zonda C17 then that's quite a nice swap to get a wider tyre profile. Whether it's worth it is moot.

I plan on swapping my Quattro before the Marmotte to save some weight, but I'd have to be looking at 250-300g really to even justify that. I may even decide against it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Hi
    I have gp4000s tyres at the mo,

I did survive a trip to France that included alpe d'huez and ventoux
    But the groupset is a bit clunky now, front mech was always a pain, swopped the tiagra for a sora,
    So I will change that over this year, maybe new wheels next year,
    The Quattro's are not the LG version.
    So its ultegra or DI2, not sure I know the DI2 is more but is it worth it?
    I will admit it is the thought of not needing to trim the gears , is appealing or was. Unlucky with my 105 .

Thanks
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    go for 6800 and the wheels but get a Dura ace 9000 front mech. its far better at shifting than the 105 5800 or 6800 ultegra option.
  • If your purpose in spending money in the sport is to get faster and improve. Get Ultegra 6800, Fulcrum 7s and a power meter. Tyre choice and pressure will make a bigger difference for comfort than spending big money on more expensive wheels. This vid explains the various factors when deciding what to spend money on in cycling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mj75G0SBHQ

After 1 month of riding with a power meter you'll be going faster than any speed improvement that some new wheels give you.

If you just want some bling then get the wheels I suppose, however di2 6870 shifting is impeccable and I couldn't go back to mechanical.
  • mugensi
    philbar72 wrote:
    go for 6800 and the wheels but get a Dura ace 9000 front mech. its far better at shifting than the 105 5800 or 6800 ultegra option.

They shift the exact same except the 9000 is lighter but that has no effect on how it works. I have 6800 on my bike and my brother has full 9000 groupset on his bike, there is absolutely no difference in the effort or slickness of the front mech between our bikes and if you are able to distinguish a difference then I'd say that the bike you rode with 6800 front mech wasn't set up properly.
  • Hi thanks for all the replies

I think it will be the ultegra 6800, stick with the Quattro's .
    Just got to find a black groupset,

Cheers
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    3.5k is not much for a groupset if it hasn't been abused...New good quality cables (inners and outers), new chain (and cassette if needed) and maybe new jockey wheels, plus a good tune up would probably be enough and then you could spend some money on nicer wheels, tyres or lights, shoes, shorts, energy bars, gels etc. etc.

Just my ¢2
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I second the guy who said power meter, you can get a 4iii for £350. Would take a pm over any upgrade.