Advice for bag/rucksack to get kit to work

DuckSeason356
DuckSeason356 Posts: 6
edited November 2016 in Commuting general
I would be very grateful for any advice on how to get from home to the office by bike (and potentially running) so that when I get there I am still presentable for a professional workplace.

I have been looking at taking my kit in using some of the following:
- Henty Wingman (this is the current favourite as they do a version suitable for running as well).
- Evoc Commuter rucksack.
- Ortlieb Vario pack.

My situation is:
- Typical work outfit is trousers, shirt and tie with odd days needing a full suit for client meetings.
- I am a bit of a fussy one and ideally don't want a shirt looking like a dish rag in the office.
- I live about 2.5 miles from the my nearest train station which takes me into London.
- I don't need to cycle when I get to London as the office is 5 minutes walk from the station.
- I will be doing the trip 3-4 times a week and all year round.
- There are free showers at work.
- I can sign up for a locker to store clothes but it costs £10 a month.
- I would like to try running to work as well as I stupidly signed up for a marathon.
- Price isn't too much of an issue as I am saving £110 a month not parking at the station.
- Don't need to worry about the bikes as I have an old MTB and an ok road bike (although I might invest in some mudguards or panniers).

Comments

• I use this and find out great http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-slice-30l-rucksack/

• Thanks for the recommendation.

Do you manage to get a shirt in that and to work without it being too creased the other side?

I reckon I can manage some trousers and the other kit I need in the locker at work leaving shirt and laptop as the main things to take each day.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get some non iron shirts (I use Charles tyrwitt which are adequate. Code UKGS22 gives you 2 for 45 posted), leave them at work along with your suit, ties and shoes. Then all you need is pants and socks.

Bring them home once a week to wash. Repeat.

Deuter Air Race or Air EXP Race should fit your needs. I use a Bike One as it fits a large Tupperware if I want to take a large Tupperware in (I eat a lot!)

• Thanks for the recommendation.

Do you manage to get a shirt in that and to work without it being too creased the other side?

I reckon I can manage some trousers and the other kit I need in the locker at work leaving shirt and laptop as the main things to take each day.

Yeah it has a separate bit for a laptop and a spacious section for everything else. So long as you fold everything right they shouldn't crease!

Crease free shirts are a good idea or take a weeks worth one day a week?
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,748
    Wrong thread!
  • Personally I would always opt for a pannier bag over rucksack - its much more comfortable and convenient. There are a huge range of options out there so which one you go for will depend on your budget and planned usage
  • Have you tried Alpkit Gourdon, come in several sizes, rolltop so waterproof. Used one for 3 years now and survived a daily commute.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Osprey escapist , 30 ltr . I asked the same advice in another thread. I ordered the DHB and the osprey, the osprey is worlds apart for me, much better. You could run with osprey , good straps. I commute 12 miles each way to a station, carry shirt pants socks, lunch, spares , lights, phones,keys,passes, helmet clips in the back, gloves and overshoes in the external picker, extra clothes ( montane fireball and cargo trousers) to warm down in train into London. Plenty of room, clothes in the laptop compartment in a carrier. You could by a specific packing cube thing if you are that particular.

Order a couple of bags from wiggle, returns are easy.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    Quins wrote:
    Osprey escapist , 30 ltr . I asked the same advice in another thread. I ordered the DHB and the osprey, the osprey is worlds apart for me, much better. You could run with osprey , good straps. I commute 12 miles each way to a station, carry shirt pants socks, lunch, spares , lights, phones,keys,passes, helmet clips in the back, gloves and overshoes in the external picker, extra clothes ( montane fireball and cargo trousers) to warm down in train into London. Plenty of room, clothes in the laptop compartment in a carrier. You could by a specific packing cube thing if you are that particular.

Order a couple of bags from wiggle, returns are easy.

I've no opinion on the Escapist but I own 3 Osprey packs and they're all top notch quality. They don't always get it right but everyone I've tried I've been very happy with (none used for cycling mind, I pre-dump clothes on the drive commute.)

OT but how are you getting on with the Fireball?
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    OT , Tenohfive, thanks for the recommendation, it's a spot on piece of kit, warm and packs down well. Have used it in anger post ride on a couple of chilly mornings, 4-8°. I know it will be warm on even colder mornings. I love it.
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    I bought an Altura Sector 30 and it's great for me, if a little small. But looks amazing
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    For a 2.5 mile journey ? Yes as has been said - look at the alpkit gourdon dry sack. No need to spend a bomb. Great piece of kit.
  • I have one of these http://www.provizsports.com/en-gb/provi ... itres.html rucksacks and rate them highly, if you want to be seen
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I bought a cheap rucksack from decathlon as an ocassional commute bag (normally use a carradice SQR slim) and it's the comfiest one I've used. I think it was an Arpanaz 20 (can't be 100% sure though) and it cost £6.99.

Road home in an absolute deluge the other day and the rain beaded off, but I always keep my stuff in carrier bags anyway, and it's guaranteed for 10 years.

Second the advice on non/easy iron shirts, I just roll my shirts and have no issue looking smart enough in my office. Wouldn't want to be carrying a suit though, I leave mine at work for when one is required.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I like this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
    Converts between a rucksack and a pannier bag, and there are two sizes to choose from.
    Nick