Shoes for switch to SPD SL

thetub
thetub Posts: 8
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Currently using SPD. They've been great for stop-start commutes but now I want to switch to SPD SL for longer rides. Pedals are sorted: Shimano 105 Carbon. Shopping for shoes (no decent LBS) is a nightmare, so will probably buy multiple sizes online.

General requirements:
— preferably white
— doesn't need to have carbon sole
— doesn't need to have dials
— don't want to spend £200+

Spend around £60-70 for entry shoes...
— Shimano RP5 £65 (shame it's not white)
— Mavic Ksyrium Elite II £60
— Giro Apeckx II £80

Spend around £120-130 for something longer term...
— Shimano RP9 £135 (shame about that toe bumper)
— Giro Factor ACC Road Shoe £138
— Fizik R5B £114

Looking for some steer on those approaches and options (or anything I missed). Thanks!

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What make shoes do you wear now ? I'd start with a make you're ahappy with first
  • To switch to SPD-SL for 'longer rides' is pointless, if there's nothing wrong with your SPD/shoe combination, why not keep using that?
  • thetub
    Fenix wrote:
    What make shoes do you wear now ?
    I currently wear a clunky pair by dhb; for 3-bolt they only offer the basic R1.
    if there's nothing wrong with your SPD/shoe combination, why not keep using that?
    If I'm pushing hard or riding for longer than 2 hours, I start to get hot spots. Partly the shoe, partly the pedal.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    I have been thinking about this for ages, and currently looking at different shoes. I ride spd's on my Cervelo, Lynskey and Bianchi, plus my mountain bike. I have often thought about changing to spd-SL for the Cervelo but can't decide. With regard to you hot foot, I solved this with a different insole with more support. I use s works shoes so nice and stuff and went from a red foot bed to a green one and my feet are fine now.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    switching from spd to spd-sl wont give you anymore comfort assuming the sole of the shoe is suitable stiff, and most, even lower end shoes are. With shoes, like helmets it comes down to which fit you the best. I have always found shimano shoes work for me and currently use their RO88 for the road. Not the lightest or stiffest (nylon rather than carbon sole) but plenty comfortable and don't break the bank.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Recently got a pair of Bont Riots. I have wide(ish), flat feet. They are white, heat mouldable and available for under £70.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    . . . that's the shoes not my feet
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • thetub
    ravey1981 wrote:
    it comes down to which fit you the best.
    100% agree. Found a couple of LBS further afield which stock the main brands, so that's the weekend planned.
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Not the lightest or stiffest (nylon rather than carbon sole) but plenty comfortable...
    So there's two parts to my question:
    1. Does anyone has experience of the suggested shoes?
    2. Whether, assuming the fit is good, to spend more for the nicer/lighter/stiffer ones?
  • Sgt_Pepper
    Sgt_Pepper Posts: 172
    Specialized Sport Road shoes are quite nice. I got a black pair for commuting. Pretty comfortable too. On offer at Evans for £56 at the moment.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    I've recently got some Giro Factor ACC, which i like; they are far more comfy than my Bont Vaypors.
  • Just seen a full carbon soled pair reduced from £159 to £55 while perusing Planet X;

Available in Black & Blue or White & Black, sizes come up small apparently so go up 1 or 2 sizes, good reviews too, must be worth a punt!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHPXVFCSS/planet-x-365x-pro-carbon-vernice-road-shoe

Or in Fluro & Black

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHPXVTCRS/planet-x-team-carbon-vernice-road-shoe