Building a website

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited September 2016 in The cake stop
Can anyone recommend a website building host company? I nearly tried GoDaddy until I read the reviews. Have signed up to 1and1 but find them so slow to react to issues, like they took down the site I created when I decided to upgrade it to a slightly more expensive otption.
It's not a business site, so I'm not looking to buy the services of a web developer and SEO type people. It's a place to put some video /audio learning materials. Happy to spend £5 a month or so and may be even get some advertising revenue from it in the longer term.
Any advice?

Comments

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a website building host company? I nearly tried GoDaddy until I read the reviews. Have signed up to 1and1 but find them so slow to react to issues, like they took down the site I created when I decided to upgrade it to a slightly more expensive otption.
    It's not a business site, so I'm not looking to buy the services of a web developer and SEO type people. It's a place to put some video /audio learning materials. Happy to spend £5 a month or so and may be even get some advertising revenue from it in the longer term.
    Any advice?

Have look at http://www.webydo.com
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I used webfactory for work - absolutely brilliant service and they put so much time & effort into building our company website, all for £300, I dont know how/why they did it. The content management system is really easy to use too. Dont know if you can start with a blank website and build it yourself though. I think the monthly fee starts from £10, but might be worth checking. they have always responded very quick and been unbelievably helpful.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If you're wanting to implement one of the standard CMS systems - or if you're looking to do something custom yourself - I'd look at Pipeten.com - I've used them for a club website (custom build) - excellent support and advice.

I use Freevirtualservers.com myself as I've no need for a working website (so wanting to spend less money!) - although it was a 1 click install of Wordpress which seems to function ok - I just don't use it ...
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I did my own as well

It was crap

But that was mostly my fault - too much detail!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Heard Squarespace is pretty decent/easy to use.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Squarespace is excellent and has performed admirably for me in the Google rankings. Took me about 2 hours to build.

www.catsittersw17.co.uk

Don't use godaddy as the owner kills animals as a hobby.
  • fatsmoker
    Cheers for those ideas. 1and1 have driven me nuts.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Any advice?

i've used godaddy for multiple domains, hosting, email, linux etc. for the best part of 20 years, never had any issue with them - i develop by hand/use other tools, so can't comment on whatever their built-in stuff does
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Another shout for Squarespace. I tried Moonfruit but left them because of their general crapness and poor service. I then tried to get my head around Wordpress before finding that I could more or less get my website to look how I wanted it to with Squarespace after about 25 minutes and then hone it over the course of another couple of hours. Good designers, great customer service and a slick looking website within in a short amount of time. I think they're fairly competitive price wise although I decided I was happy to pay over the odds for the time and headaches it saved me compared to wordpress. Here's mine...

www.thomasbown.com
  • fatsmoker
    Cracking photos.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Any advice?

Fatsmoker.. my son 13 nearly 14 is honing his skills to do web design. As a teenager he spends about 20 hours a day on his laptop and only comes out of his room for pizza and Haribo. However what he doesn't know about SEO, web design and social media isn't worth knowing!!

He's just done this for a friend and is working on it at the moment;

https://www.staffordshireupcycle.co.uk/

He's going to be looking at one of my hobby businesses which as you can see needs a major revamp;

http://d2ride.co.uk/

One of the things that you'll have to invest in though is a decent host;

https://www.pickaweb.co.uk/web-hosting/

I have used this one, above, for about 7 years now and to be fair they've been good across the board.

He (my son) recommends Weebly as a host because of its web design software.

In terms of cost he would do a site for about a £100 and maintain it (basic stuff) for £5 a month. You need to look at your host though. I'm sure some people have had great experiences with GoDaddy just looks too big, corporate and inpersonal to me.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ^
    Tell him to give wix.com a try, free hosting, better than weebly, more freedom from bland templates, simpler to use.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Another vote for Squarespace although the pricing is a little tricky to work through, but it helps if you know what you want. Also, they hit me with a tax addition a couple of months AFTER I signed up, which left me a little non-plussed. Their help team are very good though and building a website that looks professional was surprisingly straightforward although I did need to set aside some time to get focused and sort out what I wanted.
  • I am quite happy with wordpress
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks Fatsmoker... if it was me you were complimenting!