Hi from a new guy in the Lake District

bungle98
bungle98 Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi

I just wanted to introduce myself as I have been going through this forum for a few weeks now and loving it.

I have just got back in the cycling as a means to lose a few stone and raise my general fitness, I am lucky enough to live in the Lake District so lots of great rides on my doorstep although I have yet to give any of them a try yet as I want to get a bit fitter before I head out on the trail.

Really looking forward to getting more involved and getting out there a bit more

Cheers

John

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Welcome.

Forget the whole "I need to get fit to ride" nonsense and just get out there and ride - you WILL get fit then!! If that means stopping up a few climbs, so what? It'll give you a target for future rides.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    Hi John , as lostboysaint says go and do it , your right you are lucky, so enjoy , welcome by the way.
    Whoops who did that!
  • Cheers guys.

I have been out riding loads round my area on some great hills and bridleways. I am based in the south lakes and there are some great rides from my doorstep I am very lucky.

If anyone has any suggestions of places I should be looking it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John
  • Hi John

Me and my girlfriend are in Lake District this weekend. Any suggestions on where we should pay a visit? Nothing too technical as she just gets angry at me when she can't do it lol.

We are staying in Penrith so have a little drive in the mornings.

James
  • HI James

As I said i am just getting into it all so probably not the best person to as. but if you re staying in Penrith Winlatter is not that far.

Cheers

John
  • Hi John, where abouts in the Lakes do you live? I'm up near Lamplugh/Cockermouth way so only 20mins away from Whinlatter. There's loads of routes all over the Lakes. Have a look online or grab a mtb guide book for the Lakes.

James, as John said Whinlatter is your best bet (blue is very easy for your girlfriend).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • What I would do to get out to the Lake District...all my holidays have been used up this year tho..damn work :D and welcome buddy
  • Thanks guys, we ended up spending all our time in gift shops in the end...so not enough time for riding apparently, I'll be returning soon but on my own haha
  • my gf and i did a great little 16k simple loop from the hire shop in windermere. they seemed well equiped with maps etc. have purchased a lakes mtb guide and will be back with a friend ( not the gf ) to get a bit more technical.