Chris King Bottom Bracket

mlgt
mlgt Posts: 366
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I wanted to ask any current (and ex) Chris King bottom bracket users that could share their experience with them.

For sure, a simple Shimano press fit BB is cheap and to replace at under £30.... why do I want to spend over £150?

I am somewhat tempted to change my creaking bottom bracket and I like the idea of the simple self servicing option it gives (granted that the tool is pricey at around £45)

Have they lived up to expectation?
Was/is it value for money?
What made you go for it/shy away from?

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. Also to help others who might or are in the same boat as I am :)
N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0

Comments

• chillow
    chillow Posts: 2
    I got one for my Ribble Racing Sportive and it's actually been great. I installed it with a standard headset press and some Loctite and it hasn't creaked once since (this was about 6 months ago). I had to use the conversion kit so it would fit my Ultegra crankset but if anything they do a decent job of keeping the muck out of the actual bottom bracket.

It's hard to say whether it's worth the extra money - for me I'd say it was because it really has been 'Fit and Forget'. The standard Ribble BBs I had in it before would creak constantly and only lasted a few months before they would start running rough. I can't imagine that I will need to replace the Chris King one for a good few years yet.

So yes - I would recommend it!
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Thanks for the response.

Any other CK users?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0