Waterproof jacket for the lankier cyclist

Douglasjames
Douglasjames Posts: 5
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for a waterproof, slim-fit jacket to suit the lankier cyclist.

I'm 6'2", 38" inch chest, 32" waist and long monkey arms. Buying shirts is a pain in the arse. I'm hoping it'll be easier getting a jacket to keep the rain off.

Any recommendations? Cheers!

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Looking for a waterproof, slim-fit jacket to suit the lankier cyclist.

I'm 6'2", 38" inch chest, 32" waist and long monkey arms. Buying shirts is a pain in the ars*. I'm hoping it'll be easier getting a jacket to keep the rain off.

Any recommendations? Cheers!

I'm a similar build. Endura FS260 rain cape size L is decent. But generally, Castelli in size L will be good. As I understand it, above size M, Castelli doesn't get much wider, mainly longer.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    If you can find one, get an Altura Varium in Size L. I'm 5'11" with 32inch waist and 38chest and it is perfect on me if a tad long with very long arms (I have to roll the cuffs up on them and I have long arms too!) Theyre an ideal winter jacket and wind and rain proof. I have wore mine in all seasons and have never been cold or too warm. There are two zipped vents under the arms if it does get too warm. I'd highly recommend it for your size/height.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,508
    Not sure of budget but I recently got a Gore Oxygen 2.0 Acive Shell Jacket and it's excellent. A bit more than a rain cape, but it does pack small and breathes very well.

Edit, perhaps to make this useful I should add that I'm 6' tall with 38"ish chest and 32"ish waist and I bought a medium. The arms and torso are plenty long enough and the jacket is a good fit on me with not too much flapping with a base layer and jersey on. In fact it's a snug fit with something like a softshell underneath.
  • Thanks for the advice guys, all very interesting. Despite all that, I'm now struggling to find one with a hood, because I'd ideally like something I can wear off the bike as well. The search continues...
  • beak58
    beak58 Posts: 142
    Buying shirts is a pain in the ars*.

6'1 here also with the monkey arms...

Off topic but regarding shirts I can recommend TM Lewin, as they do a choice of 33, 34.5 and 36 inch cuffs. The 36" cuff has saved my shirt from looking like a T-shirt whenever I stretch slightly...