Ardechoise

stifflersmom
stifflersmom Posts: 177
edited August 2016 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone done this and know the registration process for this event? If you want to ride the sportive on the Saturday is it a ballot entry, and is there a different process gor group entries. The website isn't particularly clear on this. Thanks.

Comments

• cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    Hi,

I did this a few years ago and as far as I can remember registration was by post- you sent them the fee and they sent a registration pack.

There is a requirement for a medical certificate; this is a requirement in France and is a bit of a tick box exercise. I was working in the NHS at the time and just asked a medical colleague to sign a brief note on headed notepaper. if you're a member of a cycling club or British Cycling that may be enough.

I'm not sure what you mean by a ballot entry- basically if you register in advance you will definitely get a place. I had to choose which route at registration but there is the option to change this on the day. As many as 15,000 people take part but it's not oversubscribed like the Etape du Tour etc. Most participants are French, many from Lyon and St Etienne.

I rode the volcanique (174km, 3150 metres acent), it's a fantastic event which is very well organised and has a great atmosphere and I can highly recommend it

It was one of the toughest days I've had on the bike- the climbs are not as high as Alpine or Pyrenese but many are quite steep and the descents can be tricky.

I don't know about group entry as I rode solo. I'm seriously thinking about doing it again next year.