Upgrades

willmtb
willmtb Posts: 69
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Hi, friend wants to know best upgrades for his voodoo bizango. Doesn't matter what just interested to know what'll improve the bike.
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What does it not do that he wants it to do. Or what is broken.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • willmtb
    cooldad wrote:
    What does it not do that he wants it to do. Or what is broken.
    He wants to be able to go faster down trails mainly
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If he can't identify weakness in the bike then he's not reached the limit of what he's got.
    Identify weakness and then upgrade to fix it.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Dude just wants to spend some money blinging up his bike, nothing wrong with that!

Tyres - go tubeless if he hasn't
    Brakes
    Dropper post
  • cooldad
    So no point in offering advice, might as well just randomly push buttons on CRC.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Oh....so negative all the time
  • cooldad
    It's not negative at all. No point in just changing things without a reasonable reason to do it. It might even make things worse.
    By all means bling up if you feel the urge, but don't equate it with upgrade.
    Your suggestions might make sense, nothing wrong with any of them, but will they make him go faster?
    Without more info, who can say.
    Having both a plan and a budget helps, or it's just random suggestions.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    edited August 2016
    willmtb wrote:

Then the best upgrade would be a skills course, the bike is decent, and as said, if theres nothing about it he thinks is letting him down, your'e just blindly buying stuff.

If he's not reached the limit of his bike then needs to upgrade himself to use it better!
    A skills session followed by some guided riding will be much better value.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    mattyfez wrote:
    willmtb wrote:

Then the best upgrade would be a skills course, the bike is decent, and as said, if theres nothing about it he thinks is letting him down, your'e just blindly buying stuff.

If hes not reached the linit of his bike then needs to upgrade himself to use it better!

That. Very definitely that.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    mattyfez wrote:
    willmtb wrote:

If he's not reached the limit of his bike then needs to upgrade himself to use it better!

That.

The other option is to peddle harder, brake less and see what happens. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Agree with skills course.
  • willmtb
    Thanks for the feedback I think the skills course is a great shout I'll tell my mate that.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Dropper. Best thing since sliced bread.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If he's on the OE tyres then better tyres will allow him to go faster but only if he's prepared to lean on the extra grip.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I do think there is something in blindly asking for upgrades, as those of us with little experience may not appreciate the benefit of upgrades as we're not sufficiently well tuned to know whether a tyre letting go at a certain angle on a certain terrain (for example) is either the best that can be achieved or sub-par performance, and its not unreasonable to be asking for a few helpful pointers in the right direction.

Then there's simply adding new features, such as a dropper. If you haven't got one, and can afford one, there are few reasons not to have one of those on your bike; certainly in our household the £180 that was spent on the dropper is regarded as the best value ever spent!

Equally, though, the sage advice of spending money on learning how to ride better is a spot on suggestion for anyone with a pile of cash burning a whole in their wallet who "needs" to spend it on their new hobby. I know I could do with doing that (though the money side of things isn't there at the moment!)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)