650C wheels - tyre options

bold seagull
bold seagull Posts: 145
edited August 2016 in Cyclocross
My daughter has a small Triban 3 and I'm looking for a tyre option above the 650x23c that came on it. Like a 650x28c with a bit of grip on them. I've been looking around, but any ideas, or alternative sizes that might fit?

Been on Sheldon's too, but I'm struggling a bit.

Comments

• oxoman wrote:
    Not come across many tyres of this size with tread, kenda koncept have a slight rib on them but as a road bike tread is normally pretty useless. I had similar issues with my sons Moda with the same size and decided to stick with the Kenda,s. This problem has been looked into before on here and I suspect not a lot available.

Yes, searching 650C does come up with a lot of questions but not a lot of answers.

While 28×1¼×15/8 or 28×1¾×1¼ or 700×32C are all 32–622, there doesn't appear to be any alternative sizing that fits a 650C with a bit of nobbly action on them. For now, looks like I'll just under inflate the 650 23C's for use on grass/gravel. Didn't realise there would be search a dearth of options for 650C, I knew it would be sparse, but not this sparse. :evil:
  • I guess these in a 35 or 38 might do the trick if clearance of the callipers allows.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-durano-e-road-tyre-raceguard/rp-prod128949
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Could you not use 26" MTB wheels/tyres on a 650c frame? Its only 11mm difference in diameter.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As far as I'm aware (and I did a lot of searching on this topic a few years ago) there are no tyres suitable for CX available in 650c.
  • Imposter wrote:
    As far as I'm aware (and I did a lot of searching on this topic a few years ago) there are no tyres suitable for CX available in 650c.

I know I've posted in CX, but actually, any kind of tyre that is just a bit more than a 23C would do. For example we're going camping, and rather than pottering about on the 23Cs, I'd ideally like to get something just a bit more sturdy for say a bit of gravel and grass (but not racing). Like you say though, other than 23s, not sure anyone is making anything else in this size. :shock: